Double Linksys Router issue.

• PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I originally had 1 wired linksys router with no wireless on the 1st floor of my house. It served it's purpose alone for a while giving internet to multiple computers on the lower floors of my house and 1 long wire that went to an upstairs computer. Anyway upstairs I decided I wanted to have more than 1 computer for other little projects and such. I didn't want to split the wire I ran and I didn't want to get wireless downstairs cause I am a fan of wires, so I got another router to split my computers upstairs (and it came with wireless for laptops upstairs and my friends laptops). So I installed it and with a little tweaking I got it to work. All my computer applications worked. EXCEPT Steam doesn't allow it cause it cannot verify me or something for security reasons it says AND another game I play called "Company Of Heroes" I cannot connect to some people... even my friend who has NO router. I'm actually beginning to suspect that I can only play with people who HAVE routers. I forwarded the recommended ports for the game & even dropped the routers firewall, but I can still only play with certain people. I'm wondering if I could have setup my router wrong or if there is something that is making it so my router only works with people who also have routers? I know this topic is kind of strange, but any tips or suggestions or ideas or anything would be of great help.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not a gamer at all but the first thing that comes to mind is DHCP. Make sure that only one router, if any, is running DHCP. In fact, I would go with static IP addresses and make sure your DNS and subnet settings are correct.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay thx, I guess both of my posts are related then. The IP from my ISP is static if that's what you mean, unless you mean static network IP's. I don't know really what a correct subnet setting is, do you mean 255.255.255.0? I'll repost later today when I try to fix it...
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I tried many things, and went on the help forums for the game but I'm not sure they entirely know what they're talking about. I think it might be something to do with subnet like you said cause I don't even know how to correctly set mine up.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is how I look at it. If all of your PC's and laptops can get out on the internet and you can "see" all of the PC's and laptops within your network (My Network Places) there is nothing wrong with your config.

Default subnets for home networks is 255.255.255.0 and they all usually default to 192.168.1.X IP address scheme.

There must be something with how Steam authenticates its users that is causing a problem. I have no idea how Steam works since I am not a gamer. I would pound away at the guys at Steam and see what the deal is.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grinch's IP configuration example is correct. Run netstat -an from a command prompt on each machine. Each one should have a different 192.168.1.X IP address, the difference being the replacement of the X. The subnet mask 255.255.255.0 is also correct.. It's all a class C subnet.
After that, search google for steam authentication. There is plenty to read.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah everything is alright with my subnets and IP schemes then, and yeah I've basically proved to myself that Steam just sucks. The guy almost told me straight up "if you have 2 routers, steam doesn't like you cause it cannot verify you for authentication reasons" or something close to that. I just really want to play Company of Heroes while behind both routers. The game isn't even related to steam. It's just frustrating me because I want to know what's wrong and I've figured out that the only people I can play with while behind 2 routers in that game are those who have routers usually. It's just weird.

Okay I have 2 possibilities still.

Currently the 1st router that is connected to my modem is using the DHCP Server IP of 192.168.1.1

Then the router connected to that router is giving out the DHCP Server IP of 192.168.1.10

Also, I should be disabling DHCP on 1 of them you said? Can I run it from just 1?

Edit: Okay I shut the DHCP server off of the 2nd one, but now I cannot even connect to the internet while on the 2nd router and I cannot get back into the adminstration panel to turn it back on haha...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me try and get an understanding of how things are working in your house.

Modem -> Router -> Router -> PC/Laptops

Is that right or is it something else?

If it is the way I am describing it then basically leave both routers to DHCP. The first router is going to give the second router and IP of 192.168.1.2 and then Router 2 will hand out IP's beginning at 192.168.1.11.

Very strange setup you have there and completely unnecessary from what I can tell.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unnecessary is correct. I don't see the need for 2 routers nor the need for two DHCP servers. I've installed new AC outlets for people in their homes and I can run wires anywhere. Running a couple cat5 cables between floors should be a piece of cake.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Modem -> Router -> Router -> PC/Laptops

Yeah but there's computers on the first router too...

Router 1 for 1st floor
Router 2 for 2nd floor

It actually kind of makes sense.

Don2007 wrote:
Unnecessary is correct. I don't see the need for 2 routers nor the need for two DHCP servers. I've installed new AC outlets for people in their homes and I can run wires anywhere. Running a couple cat5 cables between floors should be a piece of cake.

It is necessary, because I don't want to run 100 wires through my walls nor pay for them (even if it's $1) AND I don't want to make any more holes in my walls/ceilings/floors, this is an already made house AND I want to be able to change computer slots in my room upstairs a lot, because I do AND I want wireless upstairs, not downstairs. Sorry not trying to sound like I'm talking back or anything, but I need it. I should be able to put 2 routers together, and I did, its just conflicting with a game.

I just want you to know I sound like an unappreciative jackass when I write, but I appreciate the help.

I'll repost or edit this in a bit to tell you which DHCP IPs it's giving out, I'm messing with it again.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I reset it, put new settings back in. The IPs now are:
Router A - 192.168.1.1
Router B - 192.168.1.2

And...

Router A is giving out DHCP IPs from 192.168.1.100 to 12.168.1.124
Router B is giving out DHCP IPs from 192.168.1.125 to 12.168.1.150

I finally fixed the issue with the game. It even fixed steam. That was it after all... I felt like an idiot when everyone told me "why have to routers? That is stupid!", even in other places, not just here and my friends too. But I proved them wrong! muahaha!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can have one router and still achieve what you want. You can buy a wireless router that has wired ports. That way you can have your wired ports on the 1st floor and wireless for your second floor and pretty much anywhere else in the house dependent on signal strength.

Glad you got it fixed though. There is nothing wrong with having two routers but I think in your situation it is over kill and a little unnecessary. With that being said though I am glad you worked it out.

by the way you did sound like an unappreciative jackass but that is okay, I work in IT and I am used to it.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
You can buy a wireless router that has wired ports. That way you can have your wired ports on the 1st floor and wireless for your second floor and pretty much anywhere else in the house dependent on signal strength.

Yeah that's what I have :)

Yeah I'm a computer science major in college, sometimes I wish I went into networking, haven't had any classes for it at all.

Thanks to you both & Merry Christmas Mr. Grinch. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts