CD drive dissapeared

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some important infor you might want to take into consideration...

The laptop is actually unidentifiable although when i got to Windows Explorer and go to the drive and right click to get to properties it says the hard disk is a FUJITSU MHT2030AT. Other info you might need is, the CD drive is a QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241.

About 2 weeks ago my CD drive vanished from the "My Computer" section of windows explorer. In its place has a quick link to another computer on the LAN. I have searched around the computer to see if i can find it but i have been unsuccessful. When i went to Add/Remove Drivers it finds the CD driver and says this, "Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)". After it says that it takes me to troubleshooter where it gives me instructions on how i can fix this. I have done as it says and it still seems to not be working.

I have spent quite alot of time trying to fix this and its not really going any way i want. I spoke to the person that bought the Laptop and he isnt sure if there was a CD that came with the laptop (new at time) that would allow me to reinstall the driver. Is it possible there could be a CD with this laptop (sorry i cant id it, there is no name badge on it, so i dont know if its a Dell, Packard, or if it is what i think it is, a FUJITSU)?

Does anybody know what this problem could be?

The other thing i briefly touched on was the fact that instead of the CD driver being there (it was the D drive) it now has a link to another computer on the LAN. This is quite odd as i have a section for all the computers on the network "my network places" which also gives me access to the same computer. Its almost as if the Networked computer has overwritten the hard disk.

Help is much appreciated.

Sorry if i havnt touched on relevent information.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried removing the network drive to see if your cd-rom comes back? The command to do that would be:

NET USE D: /DELETE
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would only do that if i am sure it wont disrupt my network situation. I am not 100% sure on the network side of things and to lose this info would be a major headache!
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, go to a command prompt and just type "NET USE". The column labeled "Remote" will show you where the drive is mapped to. That way if you need to put it back, you can do so.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It wont recognise NET.

It says this "NET is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Thats when i type "NET USE" (without ")

For the record, i am not really used to using command prompt.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats.. odd.

Well, you can do it the other way and give your CD-ROM a different drive letter than D.

Start -> Run -> Compmgmt.msc

See if you can get into that.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I loaded this up successfully.

By changing the driver letter i dont see how this will make a difference. It is still saying "Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)" so how is this going to make a difference?

It also says when i go to the driver it is "dismountable" whether that means anything or not.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I was thinking that the problem was that the mapped network drive took over D: and for some reason Windows didn't bump your CD-ROM to a new letter. However, with some more searching, this looks more applicable:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6200/rh6278.htm
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the help lucassix. You've been very helpful!

I will look into this more tomorrow.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That dosnt seem to be doing anything. I will leave it for the moment. Not the most important thing. If anybody knows what else could be the problem then any suggestions would be much appreciated!
  • Sheepdip
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Castle Anthrax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this a permantently installed CD-Rom? I have had experiences where removing the laptop's CD-Rom and reconnecting it will reinitialize a drive. (i.e. My ThinkPad has an eject button that removes the whole drive - and then you just slide it back in)

It appears that you might have some other problems (registry error) though, so you might want to have your machine backed up and reloaded. :(
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The CD Drive is built in.

In the next week or so, i am going to rebuild this machine and upgrade software etc etc. Hopefully this should sort it out.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

You never said what OS you are using, here is a MS Knowledge base article on what you are describing. It deals with Roxio, but it may point you in the right direction.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;31406

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts