Drive Fault

• Davo
  • Born
  • Born
  • Davo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there everyone, I have a nice little problem and if I don't get it fixed my wife is going to kill me.

Had 2 drives on my PC. Primary drive of 10gig partitioned in 1 drive C and a 160gig drive partitioned into 2 drive G and F, and running XP on C drive.

Now here is the problem The window on C failed so decided to format drive and start again. Disconnected the 160gig drive so not to accidently wipe any data (wife has all the family photo's on there, hence life not worth living if no fix problem) the did re-format on 10 gig and re-installed windows. All up and running fine. Then shut system down and re connected 160 gig drive and rebooted. C drive shows up but no other drives, Thought ok simple fix need to tell windows its there, go into Computer Managment, There is second drive. But hang on say Disk 1 Dynamic, Foreign no option at all other than "Convert to basic disk" But there is a catch if you try and convert it tells me I will loose data. Hence my problem, what is going on and please help me to stay alive here..... :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you formatted the C: drive, did you use the same file system as before? In other words, are both drives NTFS? Is the second drive seen in the summery box when it POSTs?
If worse comes to worst, you can put the drive in an external USB enclosure box and connect it to that PC or another one and recover the data.
  • Davo
  • Born
  • Born
  • Davo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure If the drive where the same or not? The PC knows there is a drive there since C drive shows up as Drive 0 and the other drive is there under Drive 1 but there is nothing in the partition side to indicate anything at all. I dont even get the option to "Import Forigen Drive"! I did not think it mattered if I have one drive formatted as Fat32 and the other as NTFS thought it should still tell them apart ? But I'm sure the where both NTFS anyway but I cant be sure on that.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now that I think of it, it shouldn't matter if they are the same files systems or not. I was just trying to understand why it's not readable. In any event, I'm sure all the data is still there and if it's corrupted, your wife can't put all the blame on you. She didn't suggest a backup either.

I know a guy who lost his family pics three times. He never backed up the data. When his children ask for their childhood pictures some day, I'm sure they will also ask him, why didn't you back up the drive?

In the meantime, that box of black and white photos that my mother has, dating back to the 30s is still here and in tact.

Try that USB enclosure that I mentioned before. If the drive isn't corrupted, you'll be able to recover all of it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts