CD drive not reading the complete CD...

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Something odd is happening with my computer here. I have got to go through a load of CD's to copy details and print them off but for some reason the CD drive on this computer is not seeing all the folders or files.

I know this because i checked on another couple of computers at this business and discovered that some of the CD's i have already done have got twice as much more on them than i originally though. Because this has happened i have now basically wasted alot of time doing something which i never knew about until about 10 mins ago, which is very frustrating!

Does anybody know what this problem could be?

I thought it might be that some drivers dont see some files as they are hidden, but this dosnt appear to be the case.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone know what this problem might be? or have i not made any sense?

Its something i hoped i could find a solution for before tomorrow morning so i can get the job finished as quickly as possible.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB..I didnt understant much and I might sound stupid, but have you try using the Disk Cleanup and Defragmenting your dirve?.. sometimes it works... also try ito see if updating the drive may have a better result..

hope it helps..
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, i didnt make myself clear on the problem. Sorry.

Basically, i cannot open all the folders up as some of the disk drives on some computers i have here dont show all the files.

So on some computers i would see say, 20 folders and x amount of files in these folders, but on other CD drives i can only see 10 folders and the files for these folders which is odd.

I will have a look at it today and do things like defragment them as you suggested 'Shadow Knight'.

Thanks for the help!
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may sound dumb, but are some of the files/folders hidden? One computer may have the "Show hidden files" option turned on, whereas another may have it turned off (default setting I think).

Just a thought.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

i wouldnt have posted this if that was the problem. Most of my queries i have posted on this site are last resorts. Its not something i like doing, so by posting questions and not having a proper look at the problem is lazyness and can lead to some humiliation if the solution is as basic as you suggested Katana.

So, to cut a long answer short. No files are hidden, that was one of the first things i looked at.
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, well how about some more info. What CDs are causing the problem? All CDs, or CDs that you've recently burned? What format are the CDs (CD-R/CD-RW)?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, they are CD's that were burned several months ago. These CD's are CD-R .

I have checked all these CD's in drives that read them (obviously) and it just happens to be that all these CD Drives can Burn CD's themselves, so i dont believe it has anything to do with the CD not being compatible with the drive i am using.

if you have any other suggestions, fire away.

Thanks.
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do the disks contain mixed format files? I.E, have they been burned to from both Windows and Linux? Have the disks been finalized when written?

With respect to the CD drive that won't display all files; is it an old drive? Are its drivers up to date?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

All the computers and all the drivers are roughly the same age. They all have been upgraded around the same time over the last few years. I wouldnt have seen this as maybe being a problem, however i might just be wrong.

There are no computers in this office with Linux. Every machine has got Windows (mostly windows 2000), so they wont have mixed formats.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts