Dropped External Hard Drive Recovery

• ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I have an External Buffalo Tech 250GB Drivestation Hard Drive ( HD-HB250U2 ), The external drive accidentally fell off my mom's computer to the floor about 16 inches (96cm) and now doesn't work. There are things on the drive that are need to be recovered, I was wondering what are the options before my mom pays $$$ for a company to fix it. I tried freezing the drive overnight but that didn't help.

About the hard drive itself, I took the enclosure apart and I found a Samsung SP2514N 250.0GB Drive. Everything looks fine, there was no cosmetic damage to the outside enclosure and no dents or anything of that sort on the inside.
I tried hooking it up directly to my PC but it wasn't recognized. Windows does recognize the usb to ide enclosure so I'm positive the problem is with the drive.

When the HD itself gets juice it sounds as if it's beeping inside, I tried to record it with my microphone but you can't hear much unless you max your volume http://ynyfrik.googlepages.com/HDsound.wav

So I was mainly wondering what else I can do. And can anyone recommend a company to recover the data?

// I found this link http://www.ozzu.com/hardware/freezing-hard-drive-fix-t32802.html but freezing the drive still gives me the beeping noise, But i don't think the motor is spinning.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just told it worked for about 2 min. after it dropped. and it also made a clicky noise.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts