DSL Configuration

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are there any configurations i have to do on my computer before the DSL can run? I got my dsl modem and dsl installed and i wasnt at home actualy and the guy just left the dsl modem at my home and said he'll come back in 3-4 days and install it. I was hoping if i could do it myself? I hooked it up to the computer and connected it to the telephone line too and it shows on the computer that it is connected but when i try to surf the internet it doesnt work.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should see about 3 or 4 lights on the modem. One of them might be blinking but the others should be steady. If you have that, you can set your network card to DHCP (Obtain IP automatically) and connect your PC with a CAT5 cable to the modem. You didn't mention a router so I didn't include that. The only problem is that you might have to go to the home page of the provider and setup your account which is why the guy said he would be back in a few days. You may be able to call the provider and they can tell you what to do over the phone if that's what's needed.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea ill probably call them up but i like to try to do things my self first :D. How do i set my network card to DHCP ? And i dont have a router.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to the control panel, network connections, right click on LAN, left click on properties, go to TCP/IP properties, click obtain IP automatically.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep got it. Its working now. Thanks dude.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're welcome.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts