DSL problem

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys.. Im having a problem with my DSL modem and its syncing and unsyncing (disconnecting) alot.. My ISP is totally crap and they are not helping me out with it and whenever i call them up, their number is either busy or when i do actually get through, they just ignore my problem tell me a few things to do which i have already done and then they hang up on me. Lol. So i was kinda hoping you guys would help me out.

My modem is ZyXel P-600 series modem and the problem is that its disconnecting alot. The telephone wire is connected directly to the splitter and any telephone sets are connected from the phone port of the splitter.

Here are the values which i could find from my modem interface:
noise margin upstream: 19 db
output power downstream: 18 db
attenuation upstream: 23 db
noise margin downstream: 11 db
output power upstream: 14 db
attenuation downstream: 42 db

I dont exactly know what these values mean but as i understand it, these values must be within a certain range for DSL to function properly. So i was hoping you guys could tell me what to do to get rid of this problem.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

When it disconnects, what do you have to do to get the connection restored? Does it come back a few seconds or minutes later? Are you sure that it's the modem disconnecting and the PC losing the connection? Can you still ping the router when the connection it gone?
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont have to do anything to get it connected again. The modem syncs automatically. It unsyncs and syncs back on in like 1 minute. Its really not that big a problem and i can bear with it while browsing or downloading but the problem is when i am playing online games on my PS3.. and the connection drops and i am automatically awarded a defeat.

I am pretty confident that its the modem disconnecting because when it happens the dsl light on the modem switches off and so does the internet light. Then the dsl light blinks for around a minute and then becomes stable again and then the connection is again restored. So i think that its a modem disconnecting because if it was the PC losing the connection i dont think the DSL light on the modem would switch off.

How can i ping the router by the way? Ill try it the next time it disconnects.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

To ping anything, you open a command prompt, start, run, type cmd and press enter.
Then type ping something.com or ping IP_address

In the case of the router, it would be
ping 192.168.1.1 or whatever the IP of the router is. The above IP is Linksys and 192.168.0.1 is Dlink.

netstat -r
will tell you the IP under default gateway.

From what you said, you are probably correct in saying that the problem is either with the modem or the ISP.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see. Thanks for the help though will try pinging the DSL Modem. Im also confident that there's no problem with the modem because i replaced the modem and still faced the same problem so i guess it just leaves one possibility that the problem lies on the side of the ISP.

The only other thing which i havent tried on my end is changing my house's internal telephone wiring. Again i doubt as that is the problem because the wire was just laid within an year back.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that you are correct in thinking it's an ISP problem. Can you switch to cable. What else is available?
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here in Pakistan? Not much :D. Internet is still very very expensive and ISPs really dont care about the customer once they have the DSL installed. Currently im using 1mbps DSL for around 2000 PKR which turns out to be around 34 Dollars per month. This is the cheapest connection at the moment over here.

I dont exactly know what you mean by cable because the kind of cable availible here is pretty strange. Over here there are local cable providers in every area, usually there's only 1 cable provider. And the way they provide Cable is pretty strange. They actually get a very high speed DSL connection and then they actually share it over the area by using switches and really long LAN cables. So cable is actually DSL too, just that its shared in the whole block of where i live. Plus cable net is not really reliable here. They are usually run by teenagers who just want to earn a few money and not by professionals. I guess thats not what Cable is like in America though?

By the way Don, what are the contention ratios for DSL in america? Do they really effect the speed because my dsl has a 1:8 contention ratio and i dont feel a difference. I still get full 1mbps speed.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cable internet connections here are provided by the cable TV companies as a secondary service. They also provide a flat rate telephone service. The availability depends on the area. Rural areas have less. Where I am, the services are pretty good.

I have the newest type of connection that runs over a fiber optic cable. It's provided by the telco. I pay about the same as you do. I didn't get the advertised speeds until I ran TCPOptimizer from speedguide.net

I don't think contention ratios apply to the fiber lines, since DSL is usually over copper lines. If I see one of the installers, I'll ask him. They are trying to eliminate the copper over time at least in the more populated areas.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

And whats the speed of your connection Don? Also 1mbps ?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to test it to see what I'm getting. I think it's about 5 mbps.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there, before i also get those problems as my ISP, with all its excuses can make, attributed the disconnection to all other elements, say, erratic high intensity electro-magnetic signal from outer space, which is a crap...

anyways, i just presume you got a package which your ISP assign you a dynamic IP. What i usually do is:

1. Open Command Prompt. In Windows, you can find an icon on it at Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt.

2. Type IPCONFIG

it will display an information about your connection like IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway--infos are in numbers. When you have a series of zeroes in it, you may have problems getting a connection. If this is the case,

3. Type IPCONFIG /RELEASE

This will erase all the numbers assigned by your ISP in your PC.

4. Type IPCONFIG /RENEW

You will get fresh assigned numbers from your ISP which will eventually enable your PC to connect to the Net.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts