DSL question

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know where to put this topic as there was no 'Internet' Section. Anyway im hoping that someone who has knowledge about how DSL works can explain it to me.

Anyway i went to my friend the other day and he is also using DSL from the same service provider but he had 512K connection so i decided to use my own username and password and i put my id and password in his modem interface because my connection is 1mbps.. it got connected but even then the speed which i was getting was 512K instead of 1mbps. So i wanted to know the reason for this ? :oops:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Using your name and password doesn't make it your connection. It's still the same hardware and trunk line that is being used, no matter who logs in.

When I first started with Verizon FIOS, my connections speed was terrible, so I downloaded and ran TCPOptimizer from speedguide.net That gave me the advertised speeds.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doesn't DSL speed depend largely on your distance from the provider?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, that's one of the things and I was going to mention it. I believe 18,000 feet was the maximum distance from the CO (Central Office). That's 18,000 feet along the trunk line, not 18,000 feet along the car or bus route.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

So what you're saying is that basically the phone line is capped at 512K if my connection is 512K and my phone line wont allow me to go to 1mb speed even if i use an account which actually is 1mb ?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't say it was capped. That's why I recommended TCPOptimizer which would tweak the settings and probably raise it to where it should be.

Speed is not only determined by the Transport Layer of the 7 layer OSI model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_Refere ... port_layer

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts