Dual core Processor for 939 socket

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which dual core amd processor should i go for? Im planning to buy the ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluexe and im having trouble deciding a processor for it. X2 processors are dual core right? My budget isnt alot, its around 200$ for the processor and i need it for gaming. Please suggest one.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• avalanchez71
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • avalanchez71

Post 3+ Months Ago

The X2 line is dual-core, correct. The ASUS board you have selected is a fantastic choice.

Remember that dual-core is only an improvement for multitasking and multi-threaded applications. Most games are not multi-threaded, so if you're a gamer, you can save some bucks by sticking with single-core for now.

I have a 4400 X2, and I love it, rendering video is so much better with dual-core.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

What does rendering video mean? I am a gamer but i dont use the computer only for gaming. Which X2 processor do you suggest ?
  • avalanchez71
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • avalanchez71

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rendering is what must be done to digital video before it can be exported to DVD, this is a very processor-intensive task, and therefore sees a huge improvement from dual-core.

As I mentioned, games don't see much of an improvement yet, eventually they will.

Which one you choose all depends on your budget. The X2's are the same except for the speed rating (derived from CPU speed and L2 cache). Pick the fastest one you can afford.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why are you still looking at 939 and not AM2? 939 is almost dead.

Why not the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe paired with a nice AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 AM2 Processor (retail)?

You can grab both for under $600.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Why are you still looking at 939 and not AM2?

Because AM2 provides now significant performance increase over 939 ?!

My machine is still running 939 with an Opteron 170 and a couple of 6800GS cards so it is by no means a new computer [ now more likely to be counted as budget ] yet I still beat alot of my online "friends" who have "better" machines in terms of gaming and benchmarks.

Yes 939 is old ... but look at the celeron and sempron and they are still going, there are some amazing bargins to be had by using 939.

Personaly I`m saving my money for the quad core chips.

[ NOTE THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK AT GT500hlby FAR FROM IT, THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION ]

<3 GT :D
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Early AM2 provided no performance increase, but AM2 is still very young and the M2N32-SLI is one heck of a board.

DDR2 Memory is finally getting some lower latency memory out which means they are evolving the technology significantly.

The processors are still only at 90nm, when the 65nm AMD's come out they will bring an even higher increase in performance.

Think of it this way, if you buy a new 939 board now, to change in the future you would need to buy a new motherboard, memory, processor, etc...

If you go with AM2 now, later on all you have to do is upgrade the processor. The quad cores will be AM2 only.

[Don't worry, I cannot be insulted. My views are always different from other peoples because I look at things in a completely different way] You know you have a problem when you equate politics to datapath and control. :-) And I am an Eagles fan, so you know I can take a massive beating.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I keep forgetting people might be starting from scratch and may not already have a 939 mobo like myself.

The main reason for me not upgrading to AM2 at the moment is because I am waiting for the quad core chips. That an I have friends who have AM2 at the moment and I don't see the performance increase [ not saying there is no subtle increase, its just my happy harcore machine is still ripping out the performance :D ].

Once they come out I will be moving up and onwards but until then am happy to stick with my preostoric 939.

As for Eagles comment ... lolz !
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, to shoot up to dual-core on the 939... Just as long as you are not going to buy another motherboard and memory with it. I'd go for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo core. You can grab one for under $200.

I was actually at the Eagles v. Bucc's game in Tampa. That was the worst loss of all. To lose to a team that was 1 and 5 is just awful. They say Eagles fans are bad, but those Tampa Bay fans are worse. We just got a bad rap... I mean assault Santa Clause and *poof* your reputation is now that you are all a******s.

I mean, we do have a Jail with a District Magistrate underneath the stadium and all, but we really aren't that bad. Just keep us away from the Jagermeister and all will be serene.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, soooo bad.

As for the CPU, i reckon the Opteron 170 is also a good choice, similar performance and just as cheap.

Eagles FTW ! <(^ ^,)>
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Why are you still looking at 939 and not AM2? 939 is almost dead.

I agree with this statement completely. Personally I think it would be a better idea to save up a bit longer and go with an AM2 socket motherboard because it will last you longer when the quad cores come out, etc. For the longevity reason alone, I think its a better deal, whether or not there is any increase in performance currently.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm. What are the differences between Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe and the Asus A8N32 ? And i have around 450$ to spend and ill also have to buy a graphic card too. Im not going to spend big on the graphic card right now. Just going to get an Sli board and a dual core processor and save up for the Graphic card later and buy a good one later on.

Will i have to buy new Ram as well?

And please also suggest a good Am2 socket dual core processor ? Not as expensive as the AMD X2 5000+
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

How's this combination:

M2N32 Sli Deluxe
This was the motherboard you were talking about right ?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131011

And with that i choosed this Processor .. Im not going for a really expensive Processor because i do need a decent graphic card which i can run for 3-4 months.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103741

So, what do you guys think? Ill be going to buy the mobo, graphic card and the processor next month. Also, do you have to reinstall windows or stuff when you change your board and/or processor ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The M2N32-SLI is the AM2 version of the A8N32-SLI that supports DDR2.

What you spec'd out is very nice. Yes, you will need to get DDR2 memory. Stick with 2x512mb of PC2-5300 memory from Corsair. Then do another 2x512 in the future. (Wouldn't go above 2GB for now, Windows doesn't support it).

Yes, you would have to re-install windows.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMD is the way to go for budget gaming atm :P
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMD has *always* been the way to go. Except for that little problem when they tried to raise their prices to that above the Intel's.

Oh yeah and the time that they are late on 65nm, late on 45nm and don't have anything that can even touch the core 2 duo's.

Good news, their quad cores will be real quad cores and not just stuffing two core 2 duos on a die and calling it a day.

Intel is all about hitting the headlines. They don't want another repeat of the dual-core fiasco where AMD hit the market long before them. Forcing them to stuff two pentium 4's on a die. They are hitting DDR3 first (not like it matters, DDR3 is too expensive and not worth it for a while).

Oh well. they hit a nerve with the Core 2 Duo and all I hear coming out of Germany is "Quad core is coming! and We'll have 65nm by mid 2007"

Oh jeez, Intel will have 45nm by then. And right now with the core stocking stuffing that is fueling the next gen in processors, its all about the nanometers and the benjamins.

I still love AMD, just can't bear to see Intel ahead of them right now.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do i check which ram is mine and how do i check if my ram will run on the M2N32 Sli ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't currently have a newer Pentium 4, Pentium D 8xx/9xx, Core 2 Duo or Socket AM2 AMD then you don't have DDR2.

If you have a socket 939 system, you have regular DDR.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont i have the intel Pentium 4 and i think its 478 Chipset
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think i had DDR so will it run on the M2N32 or not ?
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145568

Sorry for multiple posts but is this ram the one you mentioned ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, that is the memory.

I would go for their higher-end lower-latency PRO memory, but that will do.

Newegg didn't have any decent timing Corsair memory, but I did find a set of PNY chips with 3-3-3-6. Not too shabby for DDR2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820178090
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

So would my old DDR work with the motherboard or i really have to buy new ram too ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

DDR != DDR2
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"DDR != DDR2"

Dont know what that means but i think DDR ram doesent work on DDR2 cause i just got the computer :D. Well i bought the Amd X2 4200+ because they didnt have the 3600+ availible. Also i wasnt able to get the M2n32 Sli board .. That was a big big problem for me because i wanted to have SLI and i also wanted to have AM2 socket. They didnt even knew which board i was talking about when i told them i wanted M2n32 Sli. They asked me where did i see this board, i told them i saw it from the internet and they said that this board has probably not yet arrived here in pakistan and is probably a new release and it takes around 3 months for the latest boards to come to pakistan. Anyway i was going short on money because i had taken an expensive processor so i decided to settle with the M2n-E board and i have decided to get the M2n32 later. Also i only got 256mb Ram which i will upgrade later.

A question on the ram .. Is it neccessary that if you have 256mb ram in 1 DIMM so all your other DIMMs should also be 256 ? I mean can i connect like 256 with a 512 ? Or connect 2 256 rams with 1 512 ?
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh and another question.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage ... %2D+Retail

Have a look at that image, the Sata Cables and the 4-pin to Sata power cables, What are they for? What is Sata anyway? I was having a big problem, There wasnt any extra port on the board to connect my cd drives. I have 2 cd drives. I had to connect only one of my drives and that too with the harddisk cable. The problem is, my hard disk is like fixed to the casing and its screws are really very tight and its almost impossible to even make my hard disk move so i had to connect my drive pretty near the hard disk which was a big problem because the IDE/Pata cable is pretty small.

Is there anyway i can overcome this problem? I have to connect 2 drives and i also want to connect them properly.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry about that, wasn't aware you were in Pakistan. For most of these products being developed and manufactured outside of the US, they are very slow releasing them to people outside of the US, with the exception of China/Japan of of course.

If you have one 256, I would get all 256mb chips. As for the "SATA" interface: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

Its the new interface for Hard-Drives and Optical Drives. PATA is being phased out.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, thanks alot mate. At the moment im really happy with this board and i think it'll probably be 3-4 months till i change the board.

Anyways, any idea on how i can install 2 drives along with the hard disk on this motherboard ? I really like watching my dvd's and accessing some other cd's at the same time. Also there's only one cable connecting my Dvd drive and the hard disk. Is there anyway i can get 2 individual cables to connect them? The problem is, my casing wont allow me to place my dvd drive near the hard disk and the cable is pretty small too.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your best bet is to go get a SATA hard-drive. They are really cheap nowadays
  • Will C
  • Born
  • Born
  • Will C

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recommend you to buy FX60 processor, it's more powerful in modern games than X2.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts