[Intel] - Dual Core vs. Single Core Processors

• javascriptman221
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to know what the difference is between a 3.2 GHz Single Core - [Hyper Threading] processor and a 2.8 GHz Dual Core - [No Hyper Threading] processor.

Which one is faster?

I'm a gamer and do a lot of other things.

Which one do you prefer? [No, no AMD, I do not wish to discuss AMD at all please.]

Thanks,
Craig
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the end, hyperthreading spells out more work per clock cycle, so it's ideal for intensive gaming. If you run WinXP, I would highly recommend giving it a shot, because it goes hand-in-hand with XP's multi-threading capabilities. On the other hand, it might do you some good to sit back and see where the technology goes with the next few generations if you're strapped for cash right now. You could end up buying something else within the year...this is a fairly new idea outside of servers for most ppl.

Think of it as all your instructions are standing in line to get in your processor, and with hyperthreading, the line breaks in two, just like a new line opening up in a grocery store...twice the speed, but the second line only does you good if you need it. If the work isn't there to be done, then you're paying a cashier to stand there and look pretty.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep, there a lot of that at my local heb...pretty pretty cashiers lol :P
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I refuse to talk about Intel.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

well then you two void each other out and have no right to talk at all :)
for gaming, the long believed king is intel, however any hard core gamer will tell you to go amd. they both have their respective pros and cons but in the end offer a good product. as has been the outcome of all of these, which is better nonsense posts, it boils down to personal preference.

if your gaming and compiling, either dual core or hyperthreading will do, it essentially comes to whether or not you want to spend more or less money
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Money is the key issue really between the two.

If you can afford the Hyperthreading processors, and run Windows XP then it is an easy answer with the Hyperthreading processor.

However, I have to agree as it seems like its a turning point soon for technology as once again a new Windows platform looms on the horizon, and it just feels like there will be something better very soon (if you know what I mean).

But I would suggest the HT processor anyday over the other.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

So your telling him to get a HT processor over a dual core because of its abilities to multitask better, few things wrong with that;

Hyperthreading is an emulation of dual core/dual processor setups. It allows any spare registers not being used to be fed off to run other threads. This works well and gives a reasonable speed increase for a multithreaded app. This however is nothing compaired to having 2 actual processors/cores. Having 2 fully working cores allow threads to be symilatiniously processed and gives a far larger speed boost.

Overall, get the 2.8Ghz Pentium D, in up and comming software it'll kick the *plum* out of a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts