dual graphics card?

• Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was looking at the Asus A8N-SLI - D mobo and it says it has twin pci-express slots. does that mean it can hold two graphics card and if so does that mean if i have two 128mb cards in i can have up to four monitors at one time?

:roll:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

SLI allows you to have two GPU cards working as one using a SLI [ Scalable Link Interface ] bridging device.

Basicaly the one card looks after one half of the screen and the other card is responsible for the other half.

As for the 4 VDU's, I don't know about that one :P
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Found this:
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php ... 1116437436
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome!! you can have four monitors!! wow now i have to get two graphics card... :shock:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

In order to use the 4 monitors you cannot run the cards in SLI mode, just keep that in mind.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that's fine because i don't game that much, but if i had two 6600gt cards, then it would be fine for multi-tasking.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not get a decent grapfics card, and a PCI grapfics card for the other monitors?? That way you can save a load of money, and get decent performance in games as well as getting 4 monitors.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

what do you mean? like get one awesome graphics card for gaming on two monitors and get a decent one for the other two that won't be used during gaming?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

What he is saying is that there is no nead to buy to PCI-e video cards just so you can have 4 monitors. You could buy an AGP card with 2 video outputs and a PCI video card with 2 video outputs and have the same result but spending less money.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You've been able to have multiple monitors for years. Even Windows 98 supports up to 9 monitors simultaneously, and back then I was using '98 with a PC that have 5 monitors (a Matrox dual head, and three PCI cards).

SLI is a completely different thing. It's just like with the old Voodoo and Voodoo2 cards. One of my PCs back in the day had an 16Meg Matrox Millennium G200 AGP in it and a pair of 12Meg Creative VooDoo2's in it SLI'd up. It didn't give me any extra monitor outputs, just more power to the one I already had.

As it is right now, all my PCs are single monitor except for one which runs 4 monitors off a 64Meg AGP ATI Radeon 8500 and a 64Meg PCI ATI Radeon 7500. 2 Outputs on each card (one regular, one DVI with a converter) each output going to a 19" CRT. Gotta love a 6400x1200 desktop :)
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

on the sli mobo can u mix and match the gpu's? like have a 6800 and a 6600? cuz those nvidia 6800 gpu's are dum expensive!
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i read that if you want to use the sli interface thing then it has to be the exact same gfx card...

but if you're using it kinda like the way i want to use it, to have four monitors, you can have two different chipset like and nvidia and a ati card and they don't have to be the same at all.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just want the power for one screen....what would i need two screens for??? (no sarcasm) so then im better off sticking with the pci express x16 with one gpu???im looking into the x800
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you'd need multiple screens for is a large desktop for optimal productivity.

When you're doing design & development for intranets, websites, various scripts n' whatnot, the extra desktop space is a big deal.

I've seen stock market traders with PCs running 9 or more monitors so they can keep an eye on all the information.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i agree with axe. i have two monitors right now and that's not even enough for what i do. That's why i think having four monitors would be awesome. So much workspace...so glorious :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts