Dual hard drives, dual OS, one computer system, HOW?!?!?

• Adkins
  • Adkins

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am trying to run two operating systems on two hard drives on one system. I can't find out how to get to Windows boot loader and the Linux boot loader won't recognize the windows hard drive. I have run out of ideas and am looking for any ideas. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I assume that you've made sure that everything is peachy in your bootloader's .conf file. Mind posting it just to be sure?

B_heyer had this problem too, so he'll be able to answer your question when he comes back online...I'm really bored at the moment, though, so I'd still like to try to figure out the solution, LOL.
  • Adkins
  • Adkins

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bad news, that computer is currently Window-less due to a mistake by me. It should be up by tommorrow and I will post that file for you then. Thanks for the interest.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a bummer, although there is nothing wrong with a Window-less machine. :wink:

"In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"
  • Adkins
  • Adkins

Post 3+ Months Ago

that may be true, but my version of Linux that I am working with is text base so that could suck a lot of fun out of my games and apps. I am just trying to learn linux console for now.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mmhmm, that is true, Linux pretty much sucks for gamers. What distro are you using, BTW?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check into System Commander from V-com for multiboot OS management. It's about $55.00 US retail but worth every penny. Makes your life so much easier and Linux/Unix is supprted.

http://www.v-com.com/product/sc7_ind.html
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats a great question, when i had done that previously in the past i actually would just pop in the linux boot floppy disk when i wanted to boot linux and when i wanted windows i would pop the boot disk out.. it was a rig job but worked great for what i needed it for...
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you can do, as you're still learning Linux is check out a distro called Knoppix.

You basically burn the ISO, and boot from a CD. The entire OS runs from CD, no need to install anything on the hard drive (although I supposed you could setup an e2fs partition if you wanted to)..

I've not tried this distro personally, but I've got a friend of mine using right now on a couple of spare machines with no HD in 'em (he mounts file storage space through NFS on the main Linux box on his LAN) and he absolutely raves about it to me.

I've downloaded it, but haven't burned it yet (my burner died a couple of weeks ago, so need to get a new one, heh).
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adkins wrote:
I can't find out how to get to Windows boot loader and the Linux boot loader won't recognize the windows hard drive..

At one time, I had win98SE, win2000 and RedHat 9 installed on the same drive and functioning.

On install, RedHat tended to FUBAR the windows bootloader, so what I found that works, was to start with a freshly partitioned and formatted drive, install win98, skip win2000 until AFTER the RedHat install, THEN install it.

The important thing is to NOT use the Linux bootloader if you're encountering problems with corrupted windows bootloaders after linux install, use the "make bootdisk" option and use that to boot into Linux.

I think this helps you...

Cheers...

C.C.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really? The only time I ever had problems with RedHat was way back in the day before it supported "large" (over about 4Gig) partitions...

Since then I've never seen it have a problem...

I've dual & triple booted combos of.. Win95/98/ME/NT4/2K and RedHat before, and aside from what I mention above (which I think was due to the version of LILO in RH5), it's always been find.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Really? The only time I ever had problems with RedHat was way back in the day before it supported "large" (over about 4Gig) partitions.

I'd tried both LiLo and Grub, with the same results.

I wonder if the iso I burnt was faulty, to the extent that the install corrupted win2K's loader.

I could have gone back to RedHat 8, but I'm just a touch weird, I guess.

Cheers, eh...

C.C.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Naaah, you're not weird..

I'm still on 7.3 - although it's been modified to hell n' back... But I've had no need to "uprade" the OS as a whole, so I haven't bothered to.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Naaah, you're not weird....

The Webmaster might have a different opinion there :-]

Cheers...

C.C.
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've came across a program called Virtual Machine, and it had both windows XP, windows Longhorn (whichever name will come up for the official version) and Fidora running on one machine.

It was pretty amazing, you could just drag and paste stuff from one window which would be from let's say, Fidora to another window which would be for Longhorn without any trouble.

Each window would emulate the computer, and would even BOOT UP! Yes, each window could connect to the Internet independently (urgh, never know how to spell this word. Way too many n's)... guess that if you want to have more than one os running, you could give it a whirl?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mean this:?
http://www.csm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html

I know nothing about it and have no recomendations.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts