Dual Lan

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

On my desktop I have dual Ethernet connections. I was wondering if there was a way to hook my internet up to one, and then another computer to the other. My plan is, when I go to college I need a way to connect to my server. At home I can set a static IP for it, however at college I wont be able to do that. I'm not sure if the dual Ethernet will help, but my basically plan is to be able to connect to my server via a IP. That way I can set up host records, and also be able to connect to it via SSH.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is an easier way to setup a remote connection but first, what OS is the home machine running? What OS is the machine at school running? Do you have a router at home?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I plan on having the server with me at school. I'm just trying to find a way to give it a static IP of sorts. That way I can just have it sit in the corner of the room and I dont have to bother to lookup the IP on it every time I want to connect to it viva SSH or access apache.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You still didn't answer the question of what OS will be running on the server but either way, take a look at dyndns.org, GoToMyPC, or LogMeIn
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
take a look at dyndns.org, GoToMyPC, or LogMeIn

Add zoneedit.com to that list; it's the one I use for this sort of stuff.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me clarify my question:

Currently I have my desktop, and my server. At the moment I can assign a static IP to it because I have complete control over my router. So when I want to connect to it via SSH I can just type in the IP and connect. For all my web programming, I just edit my host file and put some dummy domains in usaly ending in .dev. This works perfectly because I don't have to worry about my IP changing and I never have to update any files.

However, at school, if I were to connect both my desktop and server tot he network. The IP would not be static, but dynamic, because I have no control over the router. So if I wanted to connect to my server I would first have to hook a monitor and keyboard up to it, check the IP and then I could connect. This kinda of defeats the purposes. Also every time my IP changes I would have to update my host file with the new IP.

So here is my question. Can I use my second ethernet jack to connect to my server with a `static IP` of sorts. All those services are great if I were to leave my server at my house, but I plan on having it with me at school, because I also store all my music and pictures on it.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never setup a static IP at the router. I usually do that by opening up the NIC properties and going into the TCP/IP settings. This is in Windows by the way.

If you are worried about your school using DHCP this is what I would do. Once the server gets its IP from the DHCP server I would do an ipconfig /all and write down the IP and DNS info and then enter it in statically. This is Windows of course.

I think you are thinking about this too much.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now I understand what you're trying to do. The problem is that most college dorms only have one jack in the wall for each student. If that's the case, you can't have 2 PCs there because, your IP is already an internal IP and you can't split it any further.

I would leave the server home and use one of the services I suggested.

For the 3rd and final time, I am asking you, WHAT OS IS THE SERVER RUNNING?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, sorry, I thought I added that.

CentOS 5
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok. Either try to get one of those services to work with CentOS or put the PC in the DMZ and test the connection from a friend's house.

If you take the server with you, it will be more of a problem.

Another choice would be, put all those files on an external HD and take that with you.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow some great utility recommendations in this thread. Thank you!
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Now I understand what you're trying to do. The problem is that most college dorms only have one jack in the wall for each student. If that's the case, you can't have 2 PCs there because, your IP is already an internal IP and you can't split it any further.

I don't think this is correct. If you go buy a $50 router, you could static your 1 IP (as WAN) then subnet in your room.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

How is the college router going to read that?
You're telling him to change a LAN into a WAN.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's how you set up subnets...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Suppose the college subnet is 192.168.0.xxx and it gives him an IP of 192.168.0.22, how can his router subnet that any further without causing an IP conflict?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

My linksys router gets and Ip from my ISP which is 66.xx.xx.xx and then my router NAT's that to 10.10.10.x, he could do the same thing more than likely in his college dorm.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you see the difference between a college dorm and what you described to me? You are showing me an external IP NATted to an internal IP.

How is he going to NAT an internal IP to another internal IP on the same subnet without causing a conflict?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why does it have to be the same subnet. NAT is NAT. Why couldn't it NAT an internal IP to another internal subnet? As far as the router is concerned does it really matter?

I'm sure this is done quite often when one has roommates in college and they wish to share the internet connection.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

It might work if different subnets are used but here's a quote from RFC 1597

Using multiple IP (sub)nets on the same physical medium has many
pitfalls. We recommend to avoid it unless the operational problems
are well understood and it is proven that all equipment supports this
properly.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Suppose the college subnet is 192.168.0.xxx and it gives him an IP of 192.168.0.22, how can his router subnet that any further without causing an IP conflict?

Because the college router will never see any of his devices connected to the router, just the router itself. Same reason why my computer with an IP of 192.168.0.1 doesnt conflict with your computer of the same address. Also, being a college, I doubt they use the 192.168.xxx.xxx block anyway, I'm sure they have their own IP range for intranet use.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts