Dual Monitor -cable problem

• madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,

i try to set up my cmoputer so that it has 2 display ( 2 monitors give out same display.)
I using ASUS FX5200 - which has only the extra Tvout and Svideo out ,
so is it possible to to buy a cable that convert Tvout or Svidoe out into - monitor connector ?

thanks !
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

u can find some converters out there but it wont be good rez...s-video can only do like 1024 x 768 even if u get a converter it well only be 1024 x 768..u might as well go out and get a card that has 2 DVI's or 2 VGA's for dual screens....

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... ode=315222

the link above is VGA to S-Video but it is to go from VGA to S-video but it "MIGHT" be able to work just fine if u run it backwards.....i would say it would work,but if u want a good picture u need a dual screen video card.
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do u think is better i should get anothe PCI card ??

i mean a extra PCI VGA card
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just putting 2 video cards in your computer will not give you dual screens. The computer will pick one of them to use based on your BIOS settings and the other one will remain blank. You will need a video card designed for dual monitors to do this.
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

but from others people said that works fine when they added extra PCI video card .....

So now should i add a new PCI or change my ASUS FX5200 to dual monitors VIDEO card ?
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

go with 1 video card that can do dual VGA or DVI screens...2 cards is not what u want and might not even work at all,let alone the way u want it to...trade your card (or sell) and get a new one...that in my opinion would be the easiest / best way to go
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

To answer your question, if you want two displays with the same image, you need either a line driver or a VGA DA

Having said that, go buy a second video card, it's cheaper and more functional for your purposes
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
Just putting 2 video cards in your computer will not give you dual screens.

You need the right operating system too. All versions of Windows from '98 onwards support this.

Most video cards (single output) designed in the last 5 years will happily sit inside a PC with another video card (assuming you have the appropriate slots free).

lucassix wrote:
You will need a video card designed for dual monitors to do this

No you don't :)

If you're running windows, you pretty much can put 2 cards in your machine and run 2 monitors (or more for multiple-output cards). I had a setup with 3 video cards in it (a single output AGP card, and a pair of dual-output PCI matrox cards) running 5 monitors on a single PC.

Win98SE supports up to 9 monitors. I've never seen a single card with that many outputs (at least, not for general purchase in stores). Mutliple cards is the only way it could be done for most home users in the past.

It's only relatively recently (in the past couple of years) that dual-head and quad-head cards have become affordable for most home users.

But, for the same image on both screens... Just buy a couple of monitor extension cables and splice 'em. Plug one end into the video card, and the other two ends into the cables on the monitors. Same output on both screens.
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

for splice monitor extension , i dont think will work , because one to a 15" TFT and the other 17" CRT

all i need is :
2 same displays (exactly the same)- coz i wan to lay one bed and watch movie on my bed.

another thing - i using WinXP pro
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Monitor splice will work (sorta) as long as both monitors are running the same resolution. When you just do a split of a cable, you're going to experience significant quality loss. See my previous post in this thread for links to the equipment to do this the proper way. Again though... the cheapest option is going to be buying a second video card and a cable long enough to reach from your tower to where you want the second monitor.
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

so conclusion :

i should buy an extra PCI video card - and connect to my extra monitor

but my last question is - currrently i using Asus Fx5200( nvidia base ), if i buy a ATI pCI card - will the softwares crash ?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ishii wrote:
Monitor splice will work (sorta) as long as both monitors are running the same resolution. When you just do a split of a cable, you're going to experience significant quality loss.

Definitely. It does work, because I've done it in the past - the fact that one's an LCD and the other is a CRT isn't an issue (as long as they're both using the same 15 pin regular monitor plugs on the end of the cable). I wouldn't say the loss of quality is "significant", but it's definitely there.

Using an extra PCI card wouldn't help you if you wanted to mirror the same thing on two monitors (it would only extend your desktop to run on multiple screens). You'd need an ATI card with multiple outputs and hydravision (I'm not sure if the NVidia cards support a similar feature, but I know the ATIs do).
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

not really understand wat u said ... means that i should change my current Nvidia graphic card to - ATI dual display card ?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

unless your existing NVidia card has two video outputs, and supports the displaying of the same desktop on two separate screens (Which apparently it doesn't or you wouldn't be posting here, heh).

You MAY be able to go with an NVidia dual display card if they support this feature. I don't know, I don't use NVidia cards, because to be honest, I personally don't rate them very highly.

But if you want to display the same image on 2 monitors, this will be the easiest way.

You can pick up a 64Meg Radeon these days with 2 monitor outputs that supports displaying the same image on both screens simultaneously for as low as around $30-40 if you shop around.

Alternatively, if your existing video card has a TV output, you can always output to a TV (of course, then you're limited to an 800x600 max resolution) - but you won't be able to convert composite output to an VGA signal. You may be able to convert an svideo signal to a VGA signal.

Hit Google, and look for home made XBox cables. I remember a few people were making up cables to go from SVideo output to VGA monitors so they could hook their XBoxes up to LCD screens, so there should be wiring diagrams out there.
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i buy an old PCI videos cards eg: 8mb
will it works ?
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii

Post 3+ Months Ago

err... where exactly do you plan on finding an 8mb card? A garage sale? Seriously go spend $30-$40 on a new, entry level graphics card and you'll be fine.
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153

Post 3+ Months Ago

from ebay - it said is new - i dont wanna invest too many money because i dont konw this will work or not ....... i mean add a additional PCI video card will works ( some people said will not works)
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's your money, do whatever you want... 8mb is worthless though.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

adding an additional card WILL NOT show the same thing on 2 monitors - as you have already been told.

The only way to do what you want to do without using a splitter cable is to get a card that has TWO monitor outputs on a SINGLE card, that supports Hydravision (ATI), or another manufacturer equivalent.

Again, adding a second card WILL NOT show the same thing on multiple monitors. It will ONLY expand your desktop to cover multiple monitors.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

befor i got my new video card (3DLabs) i hade a lil cheep video card that did every kind of dual screen combo possable..they have it in PCI AND AGP(2x,4x,8x)....

http://www.mdmm.com/products/graphics/P ... 000AGP.asp

Go there,get that.(or something like that) and your problem well be takin care of....

P.S.that is a good card,even did some high end editing and gaming..worked VERY well for the money...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts