DVD-R and DVD+R

• Meron
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Meron

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I want to burn a DVD. I use DVD-R and every thing works fine.
But now I bought DVD+R, and when I am trying to burn a disc. He just won't find it. ( He can't read the disc) So my question is. Is it the problem that I am using DVD+R? And what is the diffrence between DVD+R and DVD-R?

Thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

moved to hardware
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, the problem is because you are using DVD+R and your dvd burner can only handle DVD-R.

By doing a quick google search of "difference between dvd+r and dvd-r" I found this as the top link: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/2279

Quote:
Commercial Answer

The truth is that the two competing technologies use different formats. No single company "owns" DVD and both technologies have their "champions".

DVD-R/RW was developed by Pioneer. Based on CD-RW technology, it uses a similar pitch of the helix, mark length of the 'burn' for data, and rotation control. DVD-R/RW is supported by the DVD Forum, an industry-wide group of hardware and software developers, and computer peripheral manufacturers. The DVD-R format has been standardized in ECMA-279 by the Forum, but this is a private standard, not an 'industry' ISO standard like the CD-R/RW Red Book or Orange Book standard.

DVD+R/RW is also based on CD-RW technology. DVD+R/RW is supported by Sony, Philips, HP, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha, and others, and has recently been endorsed by Microsoft. DVD+R/RW is not supported by the DVD Forum, but the Forum has no power to set industry standards, so it becomes a market-driven issue.

Technical Answer

DVD+R is a dvd disc that allows multiple layers for one disc where as dvd-r only allows one layer. They will not compete to become the de Facto standard, because they are both here to stay. Multi layer DVD+R can allow extra capacity per disc than DVD-R hence its high cost!

Quote:
DVD-R:
Benefits: Better DVD playback compatiblity within home DVD players.
Drawbacks: Older technology and less money behind the format means that they come out with faster media and burner technology slower. You will frequently see DVD burners that will support (for instance) 16X DVD+R and only 8X DVD-R.

DVD+R:
Benefits: Faster speeds, more inovations like Double Layer discs (8.5 GB)
Drawbacks: Will not play is some home DVD players. If you know your home DVD player will play DVD+Rs then there is no reason to not use them.
  • Meron
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Meron

Post 3+ Months Ago

aha..so that's the problem, thank you very much :)
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing I look for when I buy DVD burners is one that supports both media, they used to be hard to find and expensive but they are becoming easier to find and cheaper.
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Bgnn32, one that supports both DVD+R and DVD-R is definately the way to go.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

check out the deals on http://www.spoofee.com under feb. 1st...
$50-60 DVD+-RW drives...

that's the joint... i love that site, dang...
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I picked up a combo drive at Fry's about 2 months ago that supports DVD DL, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-R and CD-RW. It's an Artec VPP-16 and cost me about US$60 (It was on sale)
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, under a year ago I got a sony DVD+-RW CD-R/RW umm, pretty much everything. Freakin thing was like $300. It's still fast by today's standards of DVD burning but man, it's kind of sad to see it everything go down in price so much.. then again, it's a good thing to see.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts