cd/dvd burner

• psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

i bought a cd/dvd burner for my pc. internal. when i bought it and set it up it was working beautifully. but now it cant read dvd movies....i use to watch them all the time...all of a suddent it just stopped any advice
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jaylee1975
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jaylee1975
  • Loc: Everywhere/Traveller

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who is the manufacturer & what software came with the burner, could be a problem with the software, if its not that then ur burner is up the shoot.

do you run Windows Xp OS: if ya do, do a system restore before the problem accured & if that dont solve the problem then its the burner im affraid.

Sorry i cant help anymore
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

its a lite-on. the software it came with was called sonic. lite on is supposed to be a quality brand isnt it??? thanks anyway
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lite-on isn't a bad product.

Did you install anything new prior to the drive stopping DVD playback? Is it with all DVD's are just a certain DVD?

Try uninstalling your software and reinstalling.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

already tried it...it just doesnt read my dvd's anymore
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could try upgrading the drives firmware.

http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm
  • jaylee1975
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jaylee1975
  • Loc: Everywhere/Traveller

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, no liteon isnt a bad product, infact for the prices they charge its good but still it aint no Sony or Panasonic..... :)

I have built alot of computers in 7 years to know that when buying Liteon products to know that alot of htier products are sent back due to either factory or shipping fault or failing prematurely, yes they are quality for money but they are no ferrari, quality for money i say..

Ive had 3 liteon fail on me or didnt work to start with but 3 out of over 20 aint bad.... :lol:

good budget buy all round......

Id just take it back my friend & grab a new one then if it does it again you will know it is something with your pc.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only problem with the lite-on's I had was that they can get VERY loud. Louder than all of my fans.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Back to the original question...

Could you give us some more information. By stop working what do you mean? Does it recognise DVDs can you explore the disc contents, and how about CDs do they still work? Optical drives tend to be fairly robust and it's unusual for them to fail so I think it is probably a software problem but without more info it is hard to say what your problem is likely to be.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

everything works fine on it...i can play cds fine and i can copy cdrw and sutff like that... but it all use to work fine then it stopped... i cant see hiow software might hav to do wit it...educate me
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

So it worked fine, then it didn't, and now it works fine again?

Cheap drive, manufacturer.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

jaylee1975 wrote:
Ive had 3 liteon fail on me or didnt work to start with but 3 out of over 20 aint bad.... :lol:

Oh, I don't know, I'd call a 15% hardware failure rate pretty bad ;)

Lite-on are your standard cheap generic crap. Go with a Panasonic or a Sony, avoid HP. Go with a Samsung if you must (also standard cheap and generic, but WAY better than lite-on brand - I've bought at least a dozen samsung CD burners and DVD burners over the past 3 years or so - for myself and clients - and all of them are still working 100% flawlessly).

In my main PC I use a Panasonic DVD burner, and a Samsung CD Burner.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard Lite-On makes great drives. Back in the day their CD-R/RW drives could compete with the Plextor beasts for a fraction of the price.

Right now I'm running a Benq DW1640 and it's great. I can copy DVDs effortlessly now. Rip with DVD Shrink and burn onto Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R with Nero. Great combination.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts