DVD Drive Not Working

• JustinPhilip

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a one DVD RW drive in my computer. It was working fine until I changed my power supply and added another HDD. The computer detects my DVD drive and the device manager says it is working properly, I can right click on the disk drive and eject the disk to open that tray and all that stuff. When I insert a disk I can hear the disk spinning and see the green lights blinking but nothing happens. When I try to right click or double click on the icon in My Computer the window freezes and when I open the disk tray then it becomes unfrozen. I don't think that the power supply is the problem because everything else works just fine. I read that you can only have 4 IDE devices connected to your computer. While I have 5 devices only 3 of them are IDE (2 SATA HDD, 2 IDE HDD, and 1 DVD Drive). I thought that maybe this was the problem but I disconnect all of the drives except 1 SATA HDD and the DVD drive and it still doesn't work. I put in my Windows XP disk to see if I could boot from that and I could. I just can't get the drive to work once windows has started. I have tried several different power connectors and several different IDE cables and nothing fixes it. I didnt install any new drivers or software before this happened. What sounds to be the problem? The drive is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-109 and I am using Windows XP SP2. Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a partition/label conflict with one of the new drives? Sometimes new drives can have similar partitions/labels and cause conflict when in use.
  • martens
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • martens

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reinstall driver for Cd-rom
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could be a firmware issue as well. I had a problem like this a while back with an NEC dvd-rom and it turns out once I installed it I just had to upgrade the firmware and it was working fine under Winxp.
  • JustinPhilip

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe it is the firmware or something. I just reinstalled windows (which I needed to do anyways) and it still doesn't working. So I was thinking maybe it was the new power supply, so I put the old one back in and it still doesn't work. So its probably a problem with the drive itself.

The weird thing is that I just reinstall windows from a CD from this very same drive with no problem.
  • JustinPhilip

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another question. How do I update the firmware for this drive?
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a link to download the firmware. I would have gone to Pioneer Electronics site, but it was down or something.

http://www.mfdigital.com/Pioneer-Drive-Firmware.html

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts