DVD drive won't spin discs.

• Randomality
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Bathurst, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently installed some more HDDs, I already have installed 2 DVD drives, one is just a reader, the other does everything. Including scratch the living hell out of my discs. So since my computer was open, I had a look inside the DVD drive that wasn't working. I found two small pieces of plastics floating around, as well as a small spring, I removed these, I then found another small spring gently pushing down and slightly covering the lens, so I removed this as well.
The IDE cable that was hooked to the 2 DVD drives, is now hooked to an old 40GB HDD and the DVD drive that I just opened. However now, the DVD drive opens and closes, but will not spin a disc if I put it in, Explorer will just show up as empty.
Any suggestions on why this is, or how to fix it?

Cheers - Randomality
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just guessing, but the pieces of plastic sound like parts of some CD that came apart. Of course, it should be obvious to you whether they are or not. As for the springs, I would be fairly certain that they belong in the drive somewhere, but I have no idea of where that is. The best bet is to simply replace the drive, but if you have the patience, you might tinker with it and see if you can figure it out...you have nothing to lose but time.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, I recommend replacing the drive. Especially if its scratching up all of your discs.
  • Randomality
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The bits of plastic are the right size to fit inside the springs, but sure, I'll have another look inside see if I can figure something else, otherwise I'll just have my other reader, I don't burn DVDs all that too often. Thanks guys.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't need it that's fine, but burners have become very cheap.
  • Randomality
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I opened it up again, had another look inside, couldn't find anything suspicious so I turned my computer on and put a disc in to see what would happen, and it started working again. After I made sure it wasn't scratching the disc, I put in another and copied it to my HDD. It worked fine, went to copy some stuff back onto the DVD, however there wasn't enough space. So I turned it off, put it back together and all. And now it is still working fine.

DVD burners may be cheap, but that doesn't help the fact that I have no money. :P
But thanks for the guidance guys.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts