2 DVD-R Drives, Help anyone?

• Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello. I recently installed windows xp x64 edition, and now my second DVD-R drive wont work. It don't even detect it. It wont show up in my computer, but it worked perfectly with the 32 bit version of windows. What do I do?

Thanks.

btw first post! Nice forums
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to Ozzu, we hope you enjoy your stay. Please remember to keep your seatbelts fastened and tray tables in their upright & locked positions. Thank you for flying Ozzu Air. :wink:

Windows XP 64bit is a quirky OS. It's actually only 1/3 64bit. Most of its processes run in 32bit (the same with Vista). Like I said before, Microsoft actually accomplished nothing in the past 5 years. Google actually stole all their decent programmers.

The new Vista OS is Windows XP SP2 + Aero theme and everything made harder to do. Where is the new kernel? Where is the new filesystem? Where is the new command console? Where is the new services daemon? Vaporware looks good on paper for the investors. It was like my old Marina saying they were going to put in a game room and a Laundromat in one of there regular mailings, ten years ago... We got a few sticks, some rocks and a hose. But it looks good on paper, but then again so did communism. Except, I would never trust anything written by a man who could not sit down for the last ten years of his life because he had a scorching case of hemorrhoids (boils actually).

As for your problem, I need some more info about your system. What kind of DVD writers?
What motherboard, etc..

Also, check the obvious that you didn’t unseat the power or IDE cable accidentally. I’ve done that a few times. :)
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL. That was a crazy post. Totally off-topic :P

Motherboard: MSN K8N Platinum
DVD-Writers: Working one: Plextor px-716A. Not working one: AOPEN DRW4410

thanks

Edit:

Also, the dvd-writer isnt even listed in the BIOS
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

If its not the physical connections, the dvd writer could have just bit the dust. It is an AOPEN. Not exactly in the same class as plextor. If the BIOS doesn't see it the OS doesn't see it. Sounds like a hardware issue, unless you disabled that port in the bios by accident.
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check your drives' jumpers. Make sure one is set as master and one as slave (maybe a jumper came off?)

The problem is not with XP x64, however. If your bios does not recognize it your problem is the drive.

Does the drive respond if you press the eject button?

If not, it's a power issue; either there's something wrong with the power connection or the problem is with the power supply itself. Try plugging a different connector into the non-working drive.

If the drive DOES respond when you press the eject button, the problem is a dead drive, messed up jumper settings or bad/disconnected cable.
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

It does respond when I press eject. One is set to master and other is set to slave. The top one is working and bottom dont, but if i switch the cables, the bottom one works and not the top ones. It's like it only allows me to have one drive or something.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Set both to "Cable Select" and then give them a try.
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

K i tried, it still pick the top one. I have also installed deamon tools, so two drives show up, but one of them is a fake drive.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

try a diffrent ide cable.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some newer Intel-based motherboards only support 1 drive on the ata100 interface. What kind of motherboard do you have?
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

MSI K8N Platinum. Both drives worked before i reformated
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

reformatting would have nothing to do with it if the BIOS doesn't see them.

How many HDD's do you have? Are they SATA or IDE?

Empty off the Primary and Secondary IDE bus's. Put a boot drive and one of the opticals all set to "CS" with the boot drive as the master on the Primary IDE. Then put the other optical on the secondary set as "CS" on the master and then try.
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I didn't fully understand that, I have 2 hdd's, one of them is SATA.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which one is your OS Boot drive?
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

The 250GB SATA one
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then take out the IDE hdd. Put one optical drive on the primary IDE channel and set it as "CS" and put it on the Master plug on the cable. Put the other optical drive on the Secondary IDE channel and set it to "CS" and put it on the Master plug on the cable. Boot and test both drives.

If it works, put the IDE hdd set as "CS" on the Slave port on the Primary channel's cable and then boot and see if both optical drives and the hard-drive all work.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts