dvd interface(ide?)

• johnofleeds
  • Born
  • Born
  • johnofleeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all I have an old vaio(pcv-v1/g)which has a flat screen tft and dvd -motherboard behind it the hard drive along with power supply in the base.the dvd isn't seen on start up in the bios.I havn't taken it apart yet but I have a spare lap top drive ready to go in.Are all laptop drive's the same?The connection on the laptop connection has an oblong multi connector 23mm wide is this a pcmcia interface?There's no power connection so I presume it should get it's power from this?It will eject so I think it's getting power.
thank you john
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IT-Tech
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • IT-Tech

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not all drives are created equally. They come it different sizes with different interfaces. Although You could most likely get any drive to work on anything, :)!!!!. If your plugging your new drive in and its recieving power, will the eject button work? does windows display any popup notification when the drive is connected? Have you downloaded the drivers for the drive? have you checked your device manager and BIOS?
  • johnofleeds
  • Born
  • Born
  • johnofleeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi It-Tech the bios sees it and it shows up on device manager and it's getting power it's just that I have a lap top drive and I know it works and the eject buttons are in different places and the tray covers arn't all the same its the connection (ie the signal connector) that i'm worried about.Thanks for your reply cheers john
  • IT-Tech
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • IT-Tech

Post 3+ Months Ago

So the Signal Connectors are different? what are the two connections?
  • johnofleeds
  • Born
  • Born
  • johnofleeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello again there is only 1 connector on the replacement and thats a female micro multi-pin(about 30) and no power so I presume it gets it's power from that.I havn't taken the faulty one out yet.Thanks again john

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts