DVD ROM Requirements

• Felix_net
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm considering on switching to Suse Linux 9.2 (being released early Nov.) My only concern is that some of the drivers included with the package are on a DVD. At the moment, I don't have a DVD drive. The problem I have is that most of the specs I've read for DVD drives say that they require a P3 processor at minimum. I've got a P2 400Mhz. Is this merely a Windows requirement or an overall processor issue?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its usually a software issue with requirements. They are also only guidlines. You should still be able to run the DVD software but it would probably take a long time for it to get anywhere.
  • Felix_net
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. By the way, I know libdvdcss is an illegal method to decode encrypted DVDs (in the US at least). What are the legal options to read encrypted DVDs in Linux?
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Felix_net wrote:
I've got a P2 400Mhz.

Maybe it's time to upgrade? :P
  • Felix_net
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:
Maybe it's time to upgrade? :P

It probably is, but that would require money. Which I'm very short of. I think I'll just try Suse 9.1. No DVD's required. Besides, I've got three DVD players in the house (including the PS2). But you're right Tom, upgrading would be nice. I actually bought this computer as a barebone for about $75 a few years ago. All I've had to do is buy some extra memory and a new soundcard. Though I wouldn't mind a P4 sometimes. I'm missing out on UT2004, Conter Strike, and all the other good games. Oh, well.
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Felix_net wrote:
Thanks. By the way, I know libdvdcss is an illegal method to decode encrypted DVDs (in the US at least). What are the legal options to read encrypted DVDs in Linux?

I think Linspire has a licensed codec... but as far as I know, there isn't another way of doing it. However, since only films or tv-shows come on css encrypted dvds, you won't have any problems, since a PII 400Mhz has got no chance of playing one of them smoothly anyway... :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts