DVD writer (Lite-on SOHW - 1673S) reads only DVDs, not CDs

• Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Guys,

I think i need your help here. Here's the case. I have a Liteon DVDRW SOHW-1674S internal DVD writer which is working fine on my PC (1) running Windows XP professional (No Service Pack). Last week, i transfered the writer to my PC (2). To my surprise, it only reads DVDs and not CDs or CDRWs. What went wrong? Help and explaination is very much appreciated.

Note: I havnt tried burning a media yet. im afraid i might complicate things up.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

it should be working i dont see why it shouldnt, but i would sugest that you try burning on it and seeing if it will let you do that. i wud also try disconexting it and conecting it again as it could just be that your pc doesnt reconise it as being able to read cd's. hope i have been of help.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes gu3, my writer doesnt read a CDs. i tried to burn a CDRW using the Windows XP native burning apps but it ejects the disc and says i should insert a blank writable media. i also have tried several connection configurations like making it a slave, master, attached with other devices on the IDE primary and secondary slot----to no avail.

i was really buffled.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm i see, if you put it back into the pc it came from does it still work? because it might just be that your second pc isnt compatible.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats the case gu3, the drive is working fine if i installed it on PC 1 (running Windows XP NO SP2). so, somewhere down my PC 2, my writer gone awry. i tried a trial and error set-up, to no avail.... i hope someone here had similar problem encountered before and able to solve the problem.....
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh i think i might have overlooked somthing really stupid, it could be that your driver is not corectly installed onto your second pc and there-fore it wont operate fully. i could be wrong, i have never had to deal with this problem before i am just trying to think of reasons that may help.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appriciate much your unselfish assistance gu3. i tried to search for drivers of this writer on the net. i cant find any. okay, i will take note of that suggestion. PC 1, in which the writer was originally installed, doesnt come with installation cds when it was turned over to me.

Im thinking of getting an official Liteon technical assistance. but i have a hardtime getting one (may it be online or phone).
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yer i t hink that getting the corect driver is most likly the only answer to your problem.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

:banghead: still i cant fix the problem grrr. cant find a driver either
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

well sorry i am afraid i cant help you with that bit.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most modern CD and DVD drives do not need drivers. They work on a set standard. Windows uses Microsoft's standard CD/DVD drivers. It could have picked the wrong driver for that CD/DVD type and SNAFU'd things.

Remove the drive from PC2.

Turn on PC2, enter the BIOS. Make sure the channel the burner was on, is set to auto. (YMMV, some BIOS's don't have that feature.)

Boot PC2 to Windows. Start -> Settings -> Control Panel or Start -> Control Panel (Depending on your Start Menu Settings) -> System (or "Performance and Maintenance" -> "System" [I hate XP!]) . Navigate to the "Hardware" tab -> click on "Device Manager"

Near the top you will see "DVD/CD-ROM drives", expand that tree.
Delete everything in that tree and hit "OK" when "Confirm Device Removal" shows up.

Reboot PC2 without installing the drive yet. Go back to the "DVD/CD-ROM Drives" tree in the Device Manager. If PC2 has a second CD or DVD device it will auto-add that. If it doesn't, you should see nothing underneath that tree. If it doesn't have a second drive and you do, then delete it again.

Shutdown PC2, install drive, boot into bios. Make sure the BIOS see's the drive.
Boot into windows, check if drive exists, then see if it reads CD's.
  • Betitall
  • Born
  • Born
  • Betitall

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same Lite SOHW-1673S DVD writer and had the same problem.
You need to reboot your computer to BOIS and change the drive to AUTO or USER. It depends on the computer you are using to which setting is used, try one if it doesnt work reboot to BOIS and change it and try again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts