DVD Writers

• PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys...I'm just making this thread to find out what you guys think about DVD Writers. I plan to get one, but not sure if it is worth it. Main reason I want one is to make backups of my DVD's. I know the prices range from $100-$500+ for internal DVD Writers. If any of you have a DVD Writer could you tell me the brand, price paid, and how good it works?

I have yet to figure out what all the ±RW +R -RW etc... mean lol. Maybe i'm just an idiot... :wink: As far as making back up copies of DVD's..has anyone here tried doing that? How easy is it and is it just the same as a regular DVD?

Thanks for any help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Sony DRU500A. I paid $300 about a year ago. I love it. The different media doesn't matter. The -R is probably the most compatible. If you get one ensure that it writes to both types of media.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

however, the +R write faster...

there are two different types of DVD writing standares the + standard, and the - standard, but have thier own advantages and disadvantages as stated above...

the R and RW - this is simply write-once and re-writable, respectively

and reiterating what the grinch said, if do get one make sure it can do both standards (+/-)...
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thanks alot guys. I was thinking of getting a Plextor since that is the brand CD-ROM I have. Any of you know which brands are best? Since + is faster and - is more compatible is ±R the best? Thanks again.

EDIT: What do you think of this one?

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Removable_St ... RW_DRU500A
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you read my post, that is the one I have. In response to Calendae, I have burned to both standards and haven't noticed any speed difference between the 2 when burning. PenTaGon, please if you are going to buy a DVD burner ensure it can burn to both standards. The one you linked to will as will most of the new DVD burners. I just wish mine cost $139 when I got it.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, this is <stress>my burner</stress> both + and - burn at 4x in writable mode, and + burns at 4x re-writable, and - burns at 2x, that might just be my burner, but that was where i was taking my reference from...

just so ya know... :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts