Dvr copying

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Motorola DCT6412 III cable box with dvr on comcast digital cable. Now this neat piece of hardware has firewire, usb, sata, etc. But, comcast doesn't allow me to do *anything* with it. Searching on the internet I find "drivers" but since the new firmware that comcast pushed on the machines - that no longer functions. I have a bunch of saved TV shows that I have no time to watch or others that I want to keep around for a little while. I wanted to offload some of the shows to allow me to save some space without deleting them and waiting for a rerun.

Windows Identifies the DVR perfectly. The AV Tuner the AV panel, and 2 unknowns. However it wants drivers. Motorola said a not so very nice, "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" when I asked. However I know for a fact they have drivers they wrote to work on Windows XP.

I am not into piracy, I just want to save a few shows - maybe watch a saved show on my computer... Would be a dream to watch, "The Screen Savers" on my computer without the aid of a TV Tuner card. Which is a last resort to save stuff off the DVR. (I'm just joking about "the screen savers", btw. Really, I am... Its just a joke.)

I was on the phone with comcast corporate, and they agreed to make me a "beta tester", so I'll be the first one with there software - but there is no telling when that will be. Wont be soon enough, because the box I have has an unrelated issue and they might need to replace it, and then I will lose all my saved shows. And the guy is actually coming to fix it today between 12:00pm and 10:00pm (Don't you just love the acurate windows they give you?). Thank goodness I'm salary or I would really be pissed about that.

If that doesn't work - are there any hardware sniffers or scanners to get IO's and interrupts, etc.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• benoitb
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I searched for you and came up empty for the moment.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hence the post.

I called both Comcast and Motorola corporate offices. Comcast pointed the finger at Motorola, Motorola pointed the finger at Comcast. I got upgraded to 8mb/s cable internet and got a tv upgrade for free for 6 months from comcast. Motorola said, "Go F*&#^ Yourself!" in not so many polite words ripped out of a Dale Carnegie book. Which is probably the PR persons bible.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

i heard on some dvrs the have one firewire port enabled but you can only watch streams.
anyways, relating to your situation. no, i quite literally gave a good hour to google looking for a solution. on forum said that the way that the new firware rollout will work [by new rollout i mean comacast *will/will not* send out boxes with firmware version 12.22 instead of your 12.18] is that once the new firmware [12.22] has been successfully tested [what you will be doing] is when they will send out boxes with the firewire ports enabled.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

the ports are enabled, they work and talk to the PC. I just need drivers and a way to access the stuff on the HDD.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

this seems to be what people use to get stuff off the moto box

sorry :oops: i didnt read your post well enough.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is why I just use TiVo, and/or a DVD recorder. Prices have gone down like... $50-$100 for a DVD recorder, and a free 40h TiVo
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a seal on it? How about just popping the hard drive out, slaving it in your computer, and copying the stuff over?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's why I just use my Hauppauge WinTV PVR (and that 250Gig drive I just added today means lots of recording time) ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts