electric line broadband

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.cinergy.com/News/default_cor ... ews_id=420

this is already implemented in cincinatti. I can't wait till it hits us in louisville. Apparently it will be there next phase.

I can't tell you how many people in my apartment complex are getting broadband lately. My bandwith drops a little each week it seems.

plus I am basically paying 120 dollars a month for cable (with tv and phone though)

even better, supposedly it will have equal up and down stream
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats crazy
Quote:
Faster speeds (in excess of 3 mbps) at lower monthly cost than other broadband services

please please come to the UK :D
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't wait till it comes here, should be very soon

I figured it was only a matter of time, after I read something about sharing a home network connection through power outlets.

at the time I was thinking, oh boy, If I had the bandwidth I could sell it to the neighbors.

but I wouldn't do that..lol

It is pretty amazing, I am just wondering how reliable it will be
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Time Warner Cable is trying to do this down in North Carolina, I may be wrong though. Sounds pretty sweet until a lightning storm comes and takes out a power grid, maybe you can buy an add-on generator to keep your connection alive during such times.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, I know what you mean. But If my power got knocked off, my cable modem wouldn't work anyway
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder how it works? It can't just have a + and a -? Can it? Maybe if it converts all of the binary 1's to + and 0's to - somhow....wierd.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope it get's here soon.

I was searching around and found this link:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/

It seems that radio amateurs have some issues with BPL.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure exactly how it works truce, I guess the same way that a cable connection would work.

That is really interesting jrzy, this looks like it could basically break bpl. The fcc doesn't play when it comes around to breaking signals and stuff. I guess Insight wins again.....
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's to bad about the interference and stuff.....stupid amateur radio nerds.....they need to get AIM or ICQ...lol.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

no doubt, I understand about the hobby thing and all. But who uses it anymore as a prime means of communication?
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope they find a solution to this problem or some kind of compromise.

Here's another article that relates:
Quote:
BPL is a technology that allows the transmission of "broadband over power lines." However, the problem is not just in the overhead power lines. If a home user plugs into a BPL modem, then that home can become a source of BPL interference radiation spreading throughout the neighborhood. At this point it seems likely that the system will cause interference that it will destroy the SW bands, ham bands, mobile, emergency bands, and AM radio. DSL lines have already been affected in test areas. There is concern that even military and aircraft communications will be subject to crippling interference.

Full article
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yikes, might as well count this one out
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure. I'm trying to find some pro-bpl articles or ones that might debunk the anti-bpl. So far, nothing. Problems like this have a tendancy to be exaggerated by people who are dead set against them. It doesn't look promising, however.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't understand why the radio waves are needed? Can somebody help my out here?

If they are'nt needed, then why not just put some kind of casing that will stop the waves?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it is the electric lines themselves that will emmit the waves. I am sure they could reduce the EMI if they coated every wire with something, but that is impossible financially, and realistically to replace all power lines everywhere.

I was talking with a freind who works at a major fiber optic manufacturer, and he basically told me that the project is doomed (he had to do extensive research about his competition). I tend to agree with him, although I am sure the subject still made him a bit nervous.

As far as how those waves are produced from the lines, I haven't the slightest idea, but It does make sense. Power lines already emit radio waves already.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Vladdrac! Welcome back! When did you get in?

That's sad news.

Anytime you have alternating or pulsating currents in a line, they will produce electromagnetic radiation. That's essentially how transmitters work.

The radio waves broadcast by electric lines are very low frequency (60hz in the US). They really don't interfere with communications at higher frequencies. Due to the high fequency at which data is transmitted via bpl, the corresponding electromagnet waves will be equally as high.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

just now, and this was my first post lol

perhaps the frequencies stay at 60hz, but somehow get boosted by the traffic
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

How was your trip?

The frequencies at which bpl data are transmitted are much higher than 60hz.

Quote:
BPL systems transmit high frequency digital data over existing electricity distribution wiring. Because the wires are usually not shielded, and are widely spaced, the signals may be radiated, or coupled from the electric wires into amateur receiving antennas causing interference

http://www.rac.ca/bplfaq.htm
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was great! but I am still sunburnt.

can those wires even handle that frequency? I feel cancer closing in on us on all fronts
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, these days we're already saturated with EM. Besides, one more thing that causes cancer probably won't matter.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, as a smoker, I am naturally immune to cancer...lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts