Electrical considerations for computers

• IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Occasionally I get a client asking if there is some sort of special outlet they can use for their computer.

I usually just tell them I can install a separate 15A cuiruit for that area, since computers are usually fine on any other cuirit that does not have to much draw.
(even hen, the computer has the highest current draw at boot-up, then sparply decreases in power usage)

Anyways, I was just wondering if there are any special consideration I could take for a computer receptical, like and isolated ground or something.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Surge Protection is the biggest thing you want, you could do this at the fuse box, or what most people do is buy a good surge protector from a local store, then as long as the building is properly grounded you will be protected, of course there are still surges powerful enough to kill those, but you can never be 100% safe.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best bet is usually a UPS either at the terminal or at/near the box (most clients have a utility room)

I was just looking for a lower-cost solution for clients.

Also, does anyone know if computers can function well on and ARC-Fault circuit. They seem like a good solution considering power bars and extension cords often get stuck behind furniture.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts