EMI/ non factory tested concerns.

• Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda
  • Loc: Dobins recovery facility Atlanta GA. USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have shared this concern on another thread but its enough of a risk to my machine where I wan't to bring it more into the open.

I have my own custom built heatsink+fan assembly, the heatsink is the stock intel, but the fan attached is completely homebuilt. It is a high RPM electric motor about three cm long and four wide, Made by GE for industrial purposes.
It has a torque and RPM controller and all sorts of other fancy dohickys, but my concern is that it is not getting enough power from the motherboard connection that I have jerry rigged and spliced it into. Is there any other way than drilling a hole into my case and running a normal cable to it, to get more power? That is issue number one.

Issue number two, I have no idea if it is rated to work in around or within ten feet of electronics, (EMI). I need it because of the mulitidude of things always running on my computer as well as my CPU's tendency to overheat.

If anyone knows anything about the EMI issue I will worship the ground you walk on for information.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

If anyone can direct me to a industrial strength heat sink+fan that isnt very expensive that would be simply amazing as well. I'd like to keep my current assembly if possible, the budjet is tight.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

for issue one, i cant suggest rigging it directly to your power supply if you dont mind voiding all the warranties in your computer.

as for number two, can i get a model number? i could look up an fcc filing or something on the ge site for that info.
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would tell you the serial number but...

The thing is that I "recycled" it from a (cough mini-gun turbine assembly cough) that was headed for the scrap heap wich isn't illegal or against the rules or anything, but my CO would have my head for it, the functions of the mechanism are technicaly classified, so there isn't any published information on the part, I guess what I need is someone that has expirience in the electrician field and knows about motors, EMI output, and what not.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have experience in electronics but on the ordnance side. Classified or not, if the part ever needed to be replaced there is info on it depending on who is authorized to remove/replace/repair the part. If it is one of those parts that had to go off to say Maintenance battalion to get repaired then I would say they would have the info you need. If it is a part that had to go off to the manufacturer or to Barstow or Albany then you may be out of luck.

I worked on "classified" equipment and we had repair manuals that had all the info. There is also a wonderful thing called FedLog. I'm sure the part has an NSN which can be easily typed into Fedlog and you will get a lot of info.
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought about that, but my old man (a former staff Sgt.) reminded me of the ass chewing and potential repremand that would ensue if someone found out that I took it without official written concent of the Maintenance units CO, I think that I should just go give it back to the techies who gave it to me, and find something different to work in its place.

I wanted to keep it on there sort of for bragging rights, its just to risky in a multitude of ways.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

from the other thread you are participating in, i see your brother gave you a zalman hsf. i highly recommend using that instead of the contraption you have going. keeps you in the clear with the marines, and wont cause any interference as it was designed with a specific application in mind.
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think thats what I'm going to. Its just going to be tricky putting it in, I dont think he gave me all the pieces. Its new but not in the box, it seems to be missing the connector clips that atach to the CPU assembly. Any ideas on a way to remedy that situation?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts