Ethernet card? (this may belong under "harware" fo

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got an XBox as a present from some friends who want me to try playing some online games with them. To do so, I have to run an ethernet cable underneath my house to the main hub of the network so that I can connect up online. Now, if I can avoid this, I would like to.

Now, I have a computer in the room that I'm hooking the XBox up in, and its connected the network wirelessly through a microsoft USB network adapter. I was hoping that maybe there was some sort of card that I could buy (cheap, like no more than $60) that would give my computer an ethernet port so that I could run the XBox through the network on my computer. Not sure if this is possible, but I was hoping it would be.

For all of you that know a lot about XBox's, yes I have looked in to buying the microsoft brand wireless gaming network adapter, and its $100. I would prefer to not spend that much on something just to appease my friends. If theres no way to do it cheaper than $60, then I'll just save some money and waste my time running a cable under the house.

Alright, thanks in advance guys. And a happy new year!!!!!
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

u can buy the linksys gaming adapter from best buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... pe=product

with the rebate it will cost 59.99 usd and if u dont want to use that u can get a bunch of games online by getting a program called Xbox Connect it uses ur computer and router as a beacon and u can play games like Halo 1 online and yes i did say Halo ONE Xbox connect is free but u need an internet connection to the router/hub

or u could run a wire inside ur house on the floor in my house my mom drilled a hole through her cealing and the wire comes through there
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, nice.

I hadnt found the lynksis gaming router that cheap anywhere else. I might just do that. I had a friend telling me about getting an ethernet switch card for my computer. Anyone here know about that?
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use the linksys WGA11B for my gamecube and my xbox. It works wonderfully. You have to program it through your computer first, though. Simple process, really, just don't expect to buy it, plug it into your xbox and have it work.

[edit] just saw the prices listed above, and that's expensive. I paid $39 for mine at Fry's, but it may have been on sale.[/edit]
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
with the rebate it will cost 59.99 usd and if u dont want to use that u can get a bunch of games online by getting a program called Xbox Connect it uses ur computer and router as a beacon and u can play games like Halo 1 online and yes i did say Halo ONE Xbox connect is free but u need an internet connection to the router/hub

i have used Xbox Connect and it worked great. the best part is its free!!
if u can keep your ping times low (by using a decent couple hundred mbps connection).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts