Ever wonder what failing hard-drives sound like ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a list of 35 different hard-drives including audio clips of the strange noises as they make as they fail. There's also some great pieces on each of the included hard-drive manufacturers & common failings of their drives. This list is compiled by a data recovery company, so I'm guessing they've heard it all when it comes to dead drives.

The audio requires the Flash Player, so if you're like me and browse with plug-ins disabled by default be sure to turn them on if you want to hear the audio.

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

where's the sound of someone screaming after their drive fails and they don't have a backup?
  • 48ways
  • Born
  • Born
  • 48ways

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wish I could listen to these. Their site seems overwhelmed right now. One of the descriptions sounds a lot like my low end ACER (not working on it right now).
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is probably still being Slashdotted.
  • moniqu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • moniqu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site is working again, atleast it is for me now :p, I guess it is cause of the time difference of the visitors of different countrys of the site, and seems like my time zone is working now.

@graphixboy
Here's the sound a (even the best :p) system administrator makes when his hard drives are failing and he doesn't have any backup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXCbAtkgNMw
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

moniqu wrote:
Here's the sound a (even the best :p) system administrator makes when his hard drives are failing and he doesn't have any backup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXCbAtkgNMw

Hahaha well said.
  • netrider7880
  • Student
  • Student
  • netrider7880

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi i listened to all of the sounds made by hard disc.But frankly saying i haven't experienced practically.But i had heared more noises in other computers but the some of the sounds you posted are new to me.
  • sonictm
  • sonictm

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't listen to all of them, but a good deal.

Reminds me of the one my last hard drive made when it failed. And I didn't have it backed up. (At least there wasn't anything important on it)

It sounded like the head was thrashing about. It was so loud that it almost sounded like it would break through the drive and go flying out my case. (Okay, a bit of exaggeration but you get my point)

BTW, new here. Joined cause of taskmagr.exe (See topic)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts