extending router internet signal

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
I live next door to my mother's house, with my house in the same garden but just a few feet away from hers (an ex farmhouse and farm worker's cottage). Both houses have very thick stone walls. We only have one land line phone between us, through which I get my internet connection, and I want to be able to set up a computer in my mother's house too, for her to use; she's 90 and I think it is time she learned to use one, especially as she gets less mobile with age and it would give her a new interest while in the house. My internet signal, however, does not reach from my house into her house.
Is there some way I can make the one router work in both houses? I know people manage to boost their signal or relay it, so that it works in their house and in an outbuilding where they have a home office and such, so it seems to be possible but I can't work out how to do it. I haven't had much success with internet searches about it.

Can anyone advise me, please?

Cerio
  • xyciana
  • Born
  • Born
  • xyciana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

3 Options although there may be more

1. This is the simplest solution/cheapest solution and may do the trick & its the best price I have come across

TP-Link TL-WA730RE Repeater external - from ebuyer. Put "TP-Link TL-WA730RE Repeater external" into google.

2. A very long cat5 cable may do the trick, from the router through the attics of both houses and to your mothers computer.

3. If both houses share electrical supply (or can share via extension cable) use ethernet power plugs. Search on google.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i say make a 2nd hub, yes a extender would do the same. but what i have done in my house is have a network cable to another router and i have a 2nd wireless network so one for inside and one for outside where it is just out of reach.

but a extender would do the trick.
  • Gooseman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gooseman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or you could try something a bit weird...but which worked for a friend of mine. Cut an aluminum can and place it behind the antenna. It should boost the signal and cover a wider area.
  • gmulak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Tustin, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, TP Link might work, especially if the houses are on the same electrical circuit. It turns the circitry of the house into an ethernet signal. you plug a "receiver" into the other outlet and plug in the ethernet cable to the other computer.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts