External Drives on Toshiba Laptop

• RezPro
  • Born
  • Born
  • RezPro

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1115-S105 laptop. A few days ago, I tried connecting an external CD-RW drive to my laptop. I inserted the card, the hard drive started "working," but it never recognized the new hardware. This drive works with all of my other computers. On the Taskbar at the bottom, it shows the drive, but you cannot see it anywhere--not in My Computer, Windows Explorer, etc.

Today, I inserted a USB mass storage disk into my laptop in an effort to copy files from my primary computer to my laptop. The same thing happened. It shows it on the Taskbar, but nowhere else. The laptop did not recognize it as new hardware. When I insert the same USB mass storage disk into my primary computer, it recognizes the new hardware and everything works fine.

Any ideas about this problem?

Thanks, in advance!

Ann
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I tried connecting an external CD-RW drive to my laptop. I inserted the card, the hard drive started "working," but it never recognized the new hardware.

I am confused by this statement??? Is it a CD-RW drive or a hard drive and what is this "card" you speak of?

I would assume a driver problem of some sort. Check your device manager (right click My Computer and select properties, click the hard ware tab and then click on Device Manager) and see if you have any yellow exclamation marks.
  • RezPro
  • Born
  • Born
  • RezPro

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was a CD-RW drive that has a card attached to it (looks like a network card) about which I was speaking. When I inserted the card into the slot on the laptop, it sounded as if it was searching for new hardware, but after a while, the sound stopped. It never found new hardware.

The other thing that I spoke about was a USB Mass Storage disk. It was plugged into one (I tried all) USB port on the back of the laptop. It , also, never "found new hardware."

As a last resort, I plugged my USB printer into one (again, tried all) USB ports, and it installed the software fine, but when it got to the point that it was checking the hardware, it had a red X on the picture of the USB cord.

In all instances, the devices show up on the tool bar (is that what is at the bottom right of the screen?), but none show up under Device Manager, or anywhere else. The printer was not listed in the Control Panel--under Printers. This is very puzzling to me. Apparently, there is something wrong with the slot for network cards as well as all the USB ports. The USB Mass Storage disk came directly from Toshiba. The printer is new and I know compatible.

There are no yellow explanation marks in Device Manager.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

It still sounds like a driver problem to me.

Your printer sounds like an HP printer. The red X means that for some reason it couldn't detect a USB port which leads me back to a driver issue.

Check THIS out and try updating the BIOS or installing one of the other many drivers available.
  • RezPro
  • Born
  • Born
  • RezPro

Post 3+ Months Ago

I’m at my wit’s end! I went into Device Manager and right-clicked on every USB device; all were working properly. I selected to “update driver” of each; all replies were that I had the latest driver. I uninstalled all drivers and reinstalled them. When I have the USB Mass Storage disk in the USB port, I can see this disk in Device Manager, but it does not show up in My Computer or anywhere else, other than on the Toolbar at the bottom of the screen.

I wondered if there was an incompatibility in that the device or the port is a 1.1 and the other a 2.0 USB, but I can’t imagine none of these devices being the problem, especially the printer.

A friend of mine tried her USB Mass Storage (MS) device in her Dell laptop and had the same results: It showed under Device Manager as USB MS Device and on her Toolbar, but not in My Computer or anywhere else. All devices work perfectly in our PCs.

Any other suggestions? When I called Toshiba, they won’t provide any support since my laptop is out of warranty. The ports likely have never worked; this is the first time that I tried them.

Ann

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts