external hard drive and I/O error

• Mikel
  • Mikel

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently have gotten an I/O device error with my external hard drive. I bought a new usb wire but the problem still persists. When I turn the HD on it takes a while for the computer to read it and then when I try to access it is when I get the I/O error. How can I fix this problem?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whats the exact error message?

WC
  • Mikel
  • Mikel

Post 3+ Months Ago

The request could not be completed because of an I/O device error.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have an external also, they seem to have a lot of problems, i may just take the HDD out and make it internal xD

did you try taking it out and putting the drive inside of the computer? also try it on other comps.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891894

^^ article on it
  • Mikel
  • Mikel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I tried it in other computers and it doesn't work on them either. I'm not a computer person like that so I don't know how to go about putting in to my computer. Is it difficult to do? Do I have to take out the one I already have in there? Is there something you need to do to have two hard drives in there?
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Guide I wrote awhile back for this website: http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/amdsystem/

Mikel wrote:
Yes, I tried it in other computers and it doesn't work on them either. I'm not a computer person like that so I don't know how to go about putting in to my computer. Is it difficult to do? Do I have to take out the one I already have in there? Is there something you need to do to have two hard drives in there?

WC
  • Mikel
  • Mikel

Post 3+ Months Ago

But it's possible to just put a second HD in to your computer? There isn't anything special you need for it?
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nah you would just have to set the jumpers accordingly check to see if the existing drive is set to primary/master....cs/cable select......or secondary/slave......if the cd rom and the harddrive are on the same cable you will need to use another ide cable and plug both of the harddrives into this. Leaving the cd-rom on its own cable. If it is on its own cable you will be able to use the existing one. Now you will look at the back of the harddrive where you would plug in the power , you will see a jumper(lil plastic piece) on some tiny pins next to the power. You should have writing either on the label on top of the drive or underneath the drive by these pins saying what I mentioned above, primary,cs,etc. set your old hardrive to the primary/master setting via jumper, secondary /slave drive will be set accordingly. This is why i included the link to the guide of how to build a system because it shows everything by picture as well as tells you word for word.

WC

Mikel wrote:
But it's possible to just put a second HD in to your computer? There isn't anything special you need for it?
  • Mikel
  • Mikel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, thanks a lot. I will see if I can do it and hope I don't mess up anything.
  • Mikel
  • Mikel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Got one more question, where do you go to set the drives to master and slave?
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bios will/should automatically determine this based on the jumper settings on the drives.

WC
  • Mikel
  • Mikel

Post 3+ Months Ago

And setting the jumper for a slave is having it on the second set of pins?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts