External HDD, Cuts off internet

• yogi101
  • yogi101

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is pissing me right off and I do not know why it is doing it.........

I have a 3.5" 40gb Seagate hard drive, I have bought a Travel Star external USB hard drive case for it. I plugged it in and the drive works perfectly although I noticed as soon as I plug it in the Internet cuts off. My internet is via a 4 port ethernet ADSL router (Origo). I have another computer on the router and it does the exact same thing so I gather its either the router or the drive case thats the problem.

I have tried knocking of windows firewall and that does not have any effect, I have also tried knocking off my anti virus and that does not help either. Another thing I have also tired is formatting the drive.

Can anyone help please?

Cheers
Ashley
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

is the drive new?
scan it for a virus?
try formatting it?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

a 40gb 3.5" drive thats new?!
when you connect the external drive, try going to "network connections" and disabling and re-enabling your network adapter. my dad has the same problem right now with his external hard drive..
another thing i can think of is an irq conflict.
apparently on some computers irq 3 is used for modems and com3 and com4 ports. for my laptop, com4 is the usb port. if your com4 is also a usb port and your modem is on irq3 as well, this could be a problem.
now, i have no freakin idea as to how to go about remedying this, but i think it would have to do with manually re-assigning the irq your external drive uses.

please wait for someone with more confidence to come along and confirm/deny my theory
  • yogi101
  • yogi101

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahhh ... thought I had it sorted, I plugged the drive in and disabled the network card, enabled it again and clicked around the internet with the drive plugged in.. all seemed fine until I watched a film from the drive and tried to use the internet at the same time.. the network went down as soon as i tried a website...

"think.correctly" i think you may be right about bandwith, the network card probally takes priority over the usb port. do you have any idea how to chnage this?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

like i mentioned, i have no clue. [i actually do, but i fear it might brick your computer...] i would wait for someone like grinch2171 or gt500shelby to help
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

To see if there is an IRQ conflict do the following:

Right click My Computer and select properties
Click on the Hardware Tab
Click on Device Manager button
Right click the usb device in question and select properties
Click on the Resources Tab and it will notify you if there is a conflict down in the bottom part of the screen.

While you are there take notice which IRQ's it is using. Then do the same thing on the other USB device. On that same screen you can change the IRQ asignments. In most cases changing them won't "brick" your computer but may cause another issue. Definitely worth trying.
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda
  • Loc: Dobins recovery facility Atlanta GA. USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If Grinch2171 is wrong, wich I highly doubt (Marines tend to do things right the first time). What it sounds like to my non-software mind is that something is not compatable with something else, or something isn't up to par with something else.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts