Fans for Computer

• jimiforpres
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jimiforpres

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am building a new computer and I have a question about the fans: I went to several websites and found a billion different types of fans. Which type of fan should I buy (case fan, CPU fan, hard drive fan, chipset fan)?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

CPU and case fans are an absolute necessity. Hard drive and chipset fans are not as important but should be considered if you are building a very high end machine and expect heat to be a major issue.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

get ones that will not make alot of noise. i have 4 80mm fans in my and it is somewhat loud.. but it is "cool"
  • jimiforpres
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jimiforpres

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.xoxide.com/xstatic.html
http://www.xoxide.com/arctic-cooling-alpine-7-hsf.html

Can you tell me how good of a fan these are and if I need anything thing else to make them work except a power supply? Also, is there anywhere else where I could get some decent fans for a better price?
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never used either, but from reading the specs they don't sound bad.

Personally I like http://www.frozencpu.com/index.html for my cooling items. The prices are very similar. The Aero fan was $4 at FrozenCPU but the Alpine was the same price.

Take a look at FrozenCPU they have a wide variety of cooling options.

Dangles
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

When setting up your computer case to be cool, you mainly want air to circulate. You'll need your fan/fans to blow air into the case from the front as well as fans to suck air out of the back. Your PSU fan will help with this.

If your fans blowing air into the case are near your HDs, you won't need HD fans because the air will be blowing right over your HDs. If you have nice memory, however, you may want to get some heat spreaders to keep those cool.

If you have a good amount of fans blowing into the case and a good amount sucking out, there will be a large amount of air circulating through the case and it will keep your computer nice and cool (and your room nice and hot).
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

For your CPU look into the Arctic Cooling 7/64 [ Intel/AMD versions ]. Very good reviews, and not expensive compared to other HSF's.

In regards to case fans, the Akasa Amber series are very good. They shift alot of air and are near silent, I have three 120mm Akasa Amber fans in my case and cannot hear them at all [ its just my two 6800GS stock fans that piss me off ].

HDD fans are a joke, most cases have the HDD cage at the bottom front of the case, and there is normaly a fan mount in front of the cage, use that fan to push air across your HDD's.

Chipset fans are optional, you really only need to look into them if you are having major onboard graphic issues, or your current southbridge HSF is making a destructive noise.
  • Commit1 Robert
  • Commit1 Robert
  • Loc: Clermont, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depending on what you are building, look for fans with a high CFM rate, and a high RPM.

CFM? - Cubic Feet per Minute of air circulation

ALSO!
Make sure you have the same amount of outtake as you have intake, you do not want to create a vacuum or a positive pressure on your computer, it will generate moisture.

Huh?
If you have 1400cfm blowing in, have 13-1500cfm going out. (Outrageous cfm, but it's an example)
  • jimiforpres
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jimiforpres

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Make sure you have the same amount of outtake as you have intake, you do not want to create a vacuum or a positive pressure on your computer, it will generate moisture.

Does this mean that I have to buy two of every fan to make sure that the air flow is balanced?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

jimiforpres wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean that I have to buy two of every fan to make sure that the air flow is balanced?

Personaly I feel this is not essential. I have several computers with more blowing fans than sucking [ for want of a better phrase ] and I have never experienced any difficulties with a vacum, positive pressure or moisture.
  • jimiforpres
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jimiforpres

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Personaly I feel this is not essential. I have several computers with more blowing fans than sucking [ for want of a better phrase ] and I have never experienced any difficulties with a vaccuum, positive pressure or moisture.

So you are saying that my computer will be okay, even if alll of my fans blow? :D

Sorry, I had to do that
  • Commit1 Robert
  • Commit1 Robert
  • Loc: Clermont, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

This mainly isnt a large problem unless you live in a very moist area. I live in Florida, there is alot of moisture in the air.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

jimiforpres wrote:
Quote:
Personaly I feel this is not essential. I have several computers with more blowing fans than sucking [ for want of a better phrase ] and I have never experienced any difficulties with a vaccuum, positive pressure or moisture.

So you are saying that my computer will be okay, even if alll of my fans blow? :D

Sorry, I had to do that

*gag*

Yes, you should be fine.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts