Fans

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

i recently changed cases. my new case has a side and top fan. i know that all fans in the front of the computer must blow into the computer and all fans at the back must blow out. but i'm not sure about the side fan and top fan. right now the side and top fans are both blowing into the computer. Is that how i should have it set up?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope. The top should definatly be blowing out. The reason for this is that the heat will rise to the top, and you need to get rid of that heat, not push more air into the case.

As for the side, it really depends on the placement. I have the two on mine blowing out, but you could just as easily have them blow in.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fans that have a filter blow in air. Fans that have no filter blow out air.

Best to have a filtered fan blowing in dust free air and just rely on the PSU fan to blow out air out if you’re a none power user. Power users may use the additional fans but I don’t bother because of the noise. Never blow in unfiltered air cos that’s how dust builds up quickly and acts like a blanket.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should keep at least the back fan(s) blowing out so that new fresh air can come into the case. Always let the top fan blow out...just like b_heyer said.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should have worded my reply better… what I meant was that the only fan blowing air in should be at the bottom of the case and should be filtered.

Some people put the PC on the side and so this side case fan should always blow out because it becomes the top. Even if you have your case standing the side one should always blow out air cos it is unfiltered.

I myself just rely on the psu fan to blow out air and a bottom fan sucking it in.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

HEY! My side fan is filtered! I have it blowing in along with my 2 front fans blowing in and 2 rear fans blowing out! I am hoping to get one for the top too!
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

safe mon - happy overclocking!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts