finally have new hard drive - still cant get compy working

• houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

help!!

I'm useless at this hardware stuff. A while ago I posted about my computer breaking down and it was recommended that i got a new harddrive (not only by you guys but everyone I spoke to), so I got a new harddrive and tried putting it in today. I think I've connected all the right wires up.

I wasn't sure about the pins on the hard drive (what settings to put them at...they were on Device 0 (master) on my old one. So I've tried it on Master on the new one.)

Anyway all plugged in turn, turn it on...harddrive makes beeps. And then nothing. Nothing comes on monitor.

Please don't laugh, but am I missing something? Do I need a boot disk or something? I only have an XP Home disk, so I tried putting that in, but nothing.

Thanks,
Sam
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check your IDE cables, make sure both the motherboard and the drive cables are round the correct way (this isn't normally a problem as on most hardware they can only be plugged in one way). Make sure the power lead is plugged firmly into the drive. If you could post your full hardware set up I'll give you a few more ideas to try...
  • houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh thank you thank you.

I have no idea if i had them the right way round or not, but I looked at the cable things and I could see there was a right way and whether it was that or just that they weren't put in properly it's working :) and now I've got the windows setup screen on my monitor. And I'm now formatting the drive.

Thanks.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great stuff, best of luck with your set up :wink:
  • houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh it's all going wrong :( I still can't get my computer working :(

I'm not sure if this is a hardware or windows problem, so let me know if you think i should post in the windows forum.

Basically. I put the XP disk in and its asked me to format the drive. Did all this, restarted computer. Then it goes back to the xp setup screen. And I have no choice but to install windows, I go through the motions, and get to a screen where there are 3 options of formatting I think...NTSC (quick), NTSC and I forget the final option. I picked the 2nd one. Somewhere along this process it says "you already have a windows folder, do you want to create a new one or overwrite. I chose to overwrite as this is a brand new hard drive and as far as I'm aware theres nothing on it.

It finally finishes, restarts and then goes back to the same xp setup screen!!! Thinking that I've already installed windows, I choose to quit and it says that windows xp has not been installed. And everytime I turn my computer on I get this screen.

I've "installed" windows about 4 times now :(

Any ideas?
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

is the new hard drive the ONLY one hooked up?
make sure it is set to "master"
go into your bios and try setting the hard drive as first boot drive
make sure that your windows install disk in NOT in the drive when u try to boot up..
what size if your hard drive?if it is bigger than 30GB's,then it SHOULD be NTSC..lower than 30GB's it should be FAT32(should not decide if computer runs by this,just an FYI)

Let us know if any of that works......
  • houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
is the new hard drive the ONLY one hooked up?
make sure it is set to "master"
go into your bios and try setting the hard drive as first boot drive
make sure that your windows install disk in NOT in the drive when u try to boot up..
what size if your hard drive?if it is bigger than 30GB's,then it SHOULD be NTSC..lower than 30GB's it should be FAT32(should not decide if computer runs by this,just an FYI)

yes
it is
ok
oops, have left CD in :oops:
80gb, def done as NTSC

OK, will try removing CD, then try setting harddrive as first boot drive.
Thanks
  • houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, tried taking cd out...no luck.

Tried F8 to change booting order...
I got a window saying to choose from floppy or CDRom

So I put XP disk back in and I got the blue screen sayinf Windows Setup.

Got 3 options Setup, Repair or Quit.

Chose Setup

Have C: partition 1 (NTFS) 76309mb
unpatitioned space 8mb

The unpartitioned space is apparently for windows xp.

Chose c: partition 1

Then I get the following message:

Quote:
You chose to install windows xp on a partition that contains another operating system. installing windows xp on this partition might cause th eother operating system to function improperly.

Caution: installing multiple OS on a single......blah blah blah....

To continue setup....press c
to select a different partition press esc.

And I didn't go any further.

This implies that I have installed XP on the harddrive. But it still aint working.

Maybe the problem as described above wasn't a faulty hard drive?? or have I got another faulty hard drive?

Help!!
  • houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour

Post 3+ Months Ago

hate bumping topics, but I've been without a PC at home for 2 weeks now. I can't cope!

//edit, I have had a suggestion from a colleague to check I've set the hardrive up right (setting the pins properly...I'm sure I have in on master, but he said to check that I hadn't read it upside down.)

Other than that it's been suggested that maybe it's the motherboard that's broke. Is this a possibility?
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds more like a software problem, is you XP disk okay?
  • houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour

Post 3+ Months Ago

XP disc is definitely OK, because boyfriend used it to reinstall windows on his laptop (and this was 2 days ago).
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the drive was formatted how is there still Windows on it? That makes no sense to me. Definitely make sure the jumper setting on the hard drive is indeed set to master, take out any other hard drive that may be in there. When you get to the part of the install that tells you what partition you have, delete it by pressing D I believe and then recreate the partition and reformat it. Choose NTFS Full, do not use quick or FAT32.

edited to correct dumb mistake :oops:
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

NTSC is a video resolution.
NTFS is a file system.

Just and FYI.

:twisted:
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL...i thought that didn't sound right,thanks for setting ME right,let alone everyone else that was doing that....

ANYWAYS

it sound to me that it is a hardware compatability problem,because the computer works FINE in DOS mode but as soon as u try and boot is when it fries,are u sure that all of your hardware is up to XP's standers..

see if your mother board was broke or something then u should not be able to even see the hard drive in DOS...so..also,if your XP disk is old,if it was sold in 02 or 03 then u wont have the up to date drivers and install files....u could try and find a friend that has the same version(but new) and use there disk and then if it works just use your product key,then your up and know what is wrong,other than that i am going to have to think about that....got my head hurting :P
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah one person says something because they are close and people run with it. That's human nature. Or known in pop-culter as a brain fart. Although I hate the term pop-culture. I'm techno-culture man. All those years of playing Pac-Man really did its toll on me! :iconshaking2:
  • houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your help guys. I've brought my PC to work and they are helping me out. We've got it working, altho i'm not sure what the guy did really. We're even managing to recover some of my old hard disk :) which we have found out is definitely corrupt, so thanks for your advice to get a new one!

lol NTSC!! You know I was looking at it when I wrote it thinking isnt that american tv?! lol

thanks again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts