my first build...problems!

• magnumPI
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • magnumPI
  • Loc: Inside my Head

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello...I currently have finished my first build. i posted this in the windows forums as well. I wasn't sure if this was a hardware or software problem.
ECS Nforce4(1.) mobo
amd64 2800+
seagate 80gb 7200rpm hd
1gb corsair xms memory
evga nvidia 6600 gt pci-e
lite on dvd rom

ok so I first tried using my brother's windows XP pro cd (which i think had some kind of corruption because it seemed to have destroyed his computer). That did not work. Instead, everytime i tried to install a legit copy of XP pro, i would get a blue screen saying dumping physical memory, etc. after trying countless times, i finally was able to install windows xp pro (i must have formatted my hard drive at least 5 times). But everytime i try to install another program, my computer quickly flashes to the blue screen, then restarts. The same thing happens when i tried to run a game. The wierd thing is that i was able to install mozilla firefox and AIM, and they seem to be running fine. Does anyone have an idea of what went wrong? I may try to re-build if i knew what parts weren't corrupted. Afterall, this was my first build.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ju
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ju
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Physical memory dumps usually relate to faulty or incompatible RAM. More likely the latter in your case - Corsair can be quite picky in my experience.
Try some different RAM in your system and see if that helps.

If that's no good, reset the default values in your system BIOS (ie, make sure nothing is overclocked :wink: )

Failing that, you might have a bad motherboard. ECS made some pretty shoddy ones a couple of years ago. I don't know what their new products are like, because I haven't bought anything from them since...!

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Ju
  • magnumPI
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • magnumPI
  • Loc: Inside my Head

Post 3+ Months Ago

ill try to make a copy of the error screen i get. That might help in finding out whats wrong.
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: McMinnville, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check with the ECS website or your owners manual and make sure that you have compatable RAM. I have built several systems (I am a system builder for a local shop) since the first of the year, and the number 1 problem that will cause your system to fall on its face is incompatable memory.

A good vendor to look at is Crucial (Ballistix if you are building a gaming rig). Their website will allow you to make sure that you have the proper RAM for your MoBo...they gurantee compatibility.

http://www.crucial.com/

The only other thing that it might be is the IDE controller on the board...ECS is not known for their exceptionally high quality boards. :)

PM me if you like, and I will do what I can from this end to help you isolate the offending member in your new system.
  • Sunburnt Yeti
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Reagan Test Site - Kwajalein Atoll, Rep. Marshall Islands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like it definately is a compatibility issue.

If possible you might want to refer to your motherboard manual to determine if it's able to take the type of ram you supplied your PC (there might be jumper settings that you would have to faniggle in order to set it to the right speed).

And if all else fails.... http://www.mushkin.com
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

the ram type is not the problem,corsair is the best ram out there....u might have a "bad" stick of ram though..but what it sounds like is that u need a BIOS update...check your motherboards website,if there worth a damn they well have bios updates ready for download.....

P.S.Like the other dude said,make sure NOTHING i overclocked because that can cause problems JUST like that.....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts