Flash Memory Advice

• manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking for a USB Flash Drive (most probably 1G) and realised how many brands there are out there, so i was wondering whether Brands really matter??

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Brands always play a small part in everything.

With Flash devices that part is not so important, the only real difference between brands is the after service they provide.
  • The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

- plus, the brands don't always stand for what's inside; but what outside. The insides are most probably the same on most of them anyways.

One thing to keep in mind though is, that flash memory of bad quality can erase itself over time - so don't buy the one that costs under half of the usual price, just choose one from the cheaper end - and you'll get the same quality as the more expensive ones.
  • Mav06
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mav06

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got a sony 256mb and it works great but i can't find a driver for it online for win 98 or older but mine came with a cd but its never on me when i need it.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigma wrote:
With Flash devices that part is not so important

Trust me, it's important. A Lexar or Sandisk flash card is going to be much more reliable than something like a Kingston, or one of the even more generic no-name brands.

I haven't tried the Sony ones myself, but I hear they're kinda slow in relation to the Lexar & Sandisk.
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys, i'm actually in NZ and here's a page of prices and brands of most retailers here in New Zealand! (note these are in NZ dollars)

Which one would you recomend?

thanks
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

opps here's the link

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_1898.html
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Enigma wrote:
With Flash devices that part is not so important

Trust me, it's important. A Lexar or Sandisk flash card is going to be much more reliable than something like a Kingston, or one of the even more generic no-name brands.

I haven't tried the Sony ones myself, but I hear they're kinda slow in relation to the Lexar & Sandisk.

I have a 512MB Kingston Elite DataTraveller and so far have had no problems, works on all 9.x, NT and XP systems without a hitch.

All drivers are readily aviable from the Kingston website if you need any updates.

Why do you say they are unreliable ? Have you had problems with them ?

I personally would reckomend manufacturers such as Kingston, ScanDisk and PNY. Sony, although their products are usually top notch, I find them to be over priced at times. I had looked at a Song Flash device but found I could get more "bang per buck" with another manufacturer.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts