floppy drive tells my friend to format.

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

my friend has a sony floppy drive connected to his asus motherboard. it used to ork fine, but after a couple of reformattings, it started to act up like a rabbit on <insert drug here> Whenever a floppy is inserted, it asks to format the floppy. format = no info/ format = no run. Please help me help him. Hes a bit of a masochist and wont ask anyone for any help.
  • Mav06
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mav06

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey
there are diffrent floppy drives that have to read diffrently. like my computers at my house i will stick a floppy into my computer and put something on there and i will go stick it into another computer and it will tell me that i need to format it. well thats because it can't read it (because of a wrong format) so it will format it and it can read the floppy but everything will be erased. hopefully that helps
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks a lot man, it does help.
does anyone know any way arund this, because i would like to put a little bluescreen app i found on the web and scare my friend. COME ONE PEOPLE, THIS IS FOR COMIC RELIEF, and of course my friends floppy drive :roll:
  • Mav06
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mav06

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can also try another floppy in his computer or just send it to your self in an email then go to his computer and go to your e-mail and open it up and there it is on his computer. lol if your really desperate put it on a cd. hope that helps have fun :D
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

hes kinda paranoid after the last time i did that and rips out his ethernet wire every time i come over. the only time i have alone with my computer is when he goes for a shower, and then it takes him like 2 mins to do. comes out smelling worse. :( so no real point of trying. maybe i can convince his g/f to do it
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or a USB drive, they a pretty much taking over the floppy market.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the input. or i could just send him the app under a different msn account, hes very trusting until he gets burned
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y -- I think you know better than to ask for help pulling a stunt like that on your friend. If you need help fixing the floppy that's one thing, but keep it to that. If this trends towards your joke this gets locked. And if it's just your joke floppy that won't work on his machine then please don't waste our time.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

its not just the joker floppy, recently he had a business project due (the next day) and was working till 3 in the morning becasue the floppy his friend gave him would read and would need to be formatted. it is like this with all floppies put into his computer. even with floppies written with that floppy drive, and then re-inserted.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, start with the physical. Shut down, open the case and check and reseat all connections. Reboot. If still not working, go to Device manager and delete the Floppy disk controller and the Floppy disk drive. Restart and let Windows redetect and reinstall the drivers.

Hopefully one of those two will fix it.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm..im moving ina month and may not be able to see him. hes not willing to fart around in the computer. hes a great gamer but knows **** all about his computer.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, here's the deal. Show him this link:
http://www.5starsupport.com/faq/floppy.htm#2-5

The most likely cause is a defunct floppy (although it's not always the case)

He can either open the case and check all the connections or follow the advice to reinstall the hardware drivers. Outside of that, he'll have to buy a new floppy and per lucassix's suggestion an External USB Drive is the entree of the day.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for all the help, turns out the cable wasnt jammed in as far as it was supposed to be.

much appreciated.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep! :thumbsup:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts