PC Format

• kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Geneva, Bangkok

Post 3+ Months Ago

Howdy!

Its time to format my PC again from all the junk. I need to back up some important files but how should I do this?

I think the best solution would be an external harddrive with around 20gig of memory.

Is there any better solution to External HDs? How much do those things even cost?

Thanks for any answers, one more question.

Do you also format your PC every ~about 6months because its getting slow , full of viruses, used trials and just installed junk which you never use or is your comp always in top health?

Yours,
Kanexpo
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi kanexpo,
yes I like format every 6 months to get rid of all such junks. The best solution is of course an external hard drive. You can use Norton Ghost for back up.
You can pay a visit here
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... ry_hdd.asp
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi pramitroy

thanks for the reply

i just had the idea, what if i install a virtual HD and i can then format without it being touched.

Does this exist and is it a good method? I dont feel like spending another 60 bucks :S
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have multiple hard drives, multiple partitions. I move whatever I need to save to another drive/partition and format c:\. No malware here, but plenty of *grumble* application "residue."
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

but i have only one drive, C:/ i dont have D:/ or so
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Does this exist and is it a good method?

Yes, it does exist and not bad even.
http://www.farstone.com/home/ensite/products/vhd.shtml
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte ... ks_hd.mspx
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is when an ipod comes in handy ... well not mine... my 2 gig mini cant cut it..
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

kanexpo wrote:
but i have only one drive, C:/ i dont have D:/ or so

you can partition your hd one partition only for win and all progs,games,etc you need and the other for the backups,data,etc...
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think ill just go buy that HD its too risky for me i cant lsoe that stuff.

thanks for the answers :)
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya know, the biggest problem to me is in order for me to get that HD i would need to go to the shop which is 20kms away.

Horribly far for a computer shop right?
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, quite so unless you use home delivery with online shopping.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well whatever you decide, I suggest partitioning your hard drive after you format it, and all of your stuff is once again safe. Partitioning hard drives is possibly one of the smartest things to do in my opinion with a personal computer.

I format or ghost my C: drive (Windows and Programs) probably once every few months or so, just out of habit really. Anything I want to save has already been saved on one of my other partitions, and possibly backed to DVD.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I suggest partitioning your hard drive after you format it
Why? That may bring more complexity. If you are formatting the entire disk with no partition, I suggest to partition that before formatting, I mean during the installation.

You wrote:
I format or ... C: drive (Windows and Programs) probably once every few months or so

Are you doing that with Partition Magic or just reinstall whole thing starting from the scratch? :) Just curious.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Partitioning can make things more complicated but when it comes to recovery or just wanting to do a frsh Windows install nothing beats it. You can have one drive partitioned into 3 section, C, D and E. C of course being the OS, D being movies or whatever and E being Music or whatever. If you want to do a frsh install just format the c: partition and reinstall to C: thus keeping D and E in tact.

Or you could be more pioneering and do this http://www.ozzu.com/sutra284692.html
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
C, D and E. C of course being the OS, D being movies or whatever and E being Music or whatever

Hah, I read that and just thought weird, that is almost identical to how I have mine set up, except that D is for my games instead of Movies.

To answer your question Pramitroy:
Quote:
Are you doing that with Partition Magic or just reinstall whole thing starting from the scratch? Smile Just curious.

I used to format the partition from scratch each time. But lately, I just re image the partition with an image I made after I formatted the partition with just windows and a few programs installed, as I find it much easier and faster. Now that I think about it though, I should probably update the ghost image I have (which I keep on dvd, as well as another partition).
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Last Checks before Performance,

I bought the newest Windows today and am ready to install. I didnt buy the external HD because it cost to much but i got some emnpty CDs and will burn my precious material on it.

I would like to know,

MS Office, How do I save all emails?

Hm i think thats all :) the rest i can figure out myself. I would appreciate a fast answer so i can get my format going :)

thanks mates[/b]
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

C:\Documents and Settings\....\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
C:\Documents and Settings\...\Definições locais(local settings)\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

There´s also a prog that does that:
http://www.genie-soft.com/products/olb/download.html

It´s shareware,but i believe the trial works just fine

p.s. shouldn´t this be in the microsoft topic?
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm, maybe :) but the general topic is "PC Format" hehe, anway

thanks for the answers
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

After you do the backup you save it...or save the folders i told you...
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Save the outlook.pst file from the directory
C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks,

hey guys i saved it on a disk but the disk wont open :S

crap
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock:
Owww, problems like you very much. OK.
What is that disk? Do you mean a cd/dvd or drive?
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just formated, feels so fresh :D

i didnt check the discs yet i dont want to be shocked hehe... i got this new Windows XP 2006 version looks nice.

thanks for your help guys, i am truly enjoying this nice health computer for now.

hehe, cheers
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

nooaaaa

i forgot the My Documents folder, i could cry... :S

Undo, Undo!!
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL...it happens,that´s why you should just partition the disk ...using one partition for important things like data,documents,etc and the other for window$ and progs,games,etc. that way is also easier to format since you only have to backup things like the mails (but you can also use a mail like gmail..it has plenty space for all your mails),and maybe some config files or saved games...
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

xamix wrote:
LOL...it happens,that´s why you should just partition the disk ...using one partition for important things like data,documents,etc and the other for window$ and progs,games,etc. that way is also easier to format since you only have to backup things like the mails (but you can also use a mail like gmail..it has plenty space for all your mails),and maybe some config files or saved games...

thanks for the reply, the gmail idea is great. i wonder about the patitioning because i remember doing it once many years back and it didnt work for some reason thats why i dont want to touch it again :lol:

pity about the My Docs folder though :cry:
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

use partition magic...you only have to resize the partition that you have and then create a new one in the empty space you got.
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks i will try that ^^

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts