Formatting a PC

• jayle008
  • jayle008

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi guys! I just want 2 ask how to format my PC. Can you give me the steps how to do it? tnx.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Create a boot disk if you don't already have one. bootdisk.com has some to download. Boot the machine with it. Change the boot sequence in the BIOS if necessary. Run the format command.

Why do you want to format in the first place?
  • jayle008
  • jayle008

Post 3+ Months Ago

tnx for the advice.. I want to format it because my computer has a problem in virus. Is it right to format my pc because of the virus?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's not always necessary. Do you know the name of the virus? Have you searched for removal instructions?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

also, are you running any antivirus? if not, there are a couple good free av programs available
if you do choose to format your hard drive you're going to want to make sure you have a disk with your operating system on it (which if you do, you can boot to the disk and have it format the hard drive during the installation)
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

i suggest you download a trial version (100% working)of Kaspersky Internet Security then scan your PC. its easier than reformatting a PC.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Day after day, we see posts from users who have some type problem with a virus, trojan or spyware and they post a Hijack This log. The log always shows an anti virus program running. Apparently, the anti virus program missed the boat. If it had done it's job, the user would never have posted in the first place.

I can see running a free AV program but I would never pay for another one again.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I can see running a free AV program but I would never pay for another one again.

agreed.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have your windows cd, you can do a clean install by booting from the windows cd, deleting the current partitions that you already have, and installing a fresh copy.

In the future you can partition your hard drive(s) so that you can create a backup image of a clean install and leave it on one of your partitions. That way, when you feel you need a fresh install, you can just re-image the bad partition.

Just some advice.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts