PC freezing

• grrosey
  • Born
  • Born
  • grrosey
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been having problems for a while with my computer. The PC is very temperamental. It randomly reboots, freezes, etc. and I don't know why! I am very computer-savvy, I've run every diagnostic I can, scanned for viruses, spyware, etc. and I've found nothing so far!

Also, I find that if I bump into my desk, or lightly knock into the actually PC box, it either freezes or reboots (usually freezes) which leads me to believe it is a hardware problem.

Anyone have any suggestions??

They would be greatly appreciated.

Gary
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds like you have loose connections in your computer. or it may be too hot inside, you may wanna clean the dust out with a compressed air can. how old is the computer?
  • grrosey
  • Born
  • Born
  • grrosey
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

the box itself is about.... 1.5 years old now. the oldest component in there is about 2.5 years old. i've thouroughly cleaned out the whole box with compressed air. yet the slightest bump freezes the whole system. i have a feeling it might be a problem with the motherboard, either being too loose, or defective, or whatnot.

as for heat, whenever i check the bios for the heat of the memory and cpu, it usually lies between 47 and 52 degrees celcius. i don't know what else to do about cooling it down in there, i have 11 fans, input fans and output fans, and i have the thing in the coolest part of the house, either cold A/C or cold air from the window, 24/7.

all i know is that i've come up with no answers yet, and i lack the funds to go buying anything new yet. so unless someone has a possible fix, i'm stuck with the problem.

Thank you very much for the input.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

its gotta be loose connections... if you are comfortable with it i suggest you take the power cords out that are plugged into your motherboard and HD and plug them back in one at a time. either that or the motherboard or HD or CPU is not screwed/placed into the case/motherboard properly
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds to me like your motherboard is shorting out on something, most likely the case. Did you install the mb yourself - if so, did you use the little felt rings under the mb screws?

just a suggestion
  • Dark Civilian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Dark Civilian

Post 3+ Months Ago

i advise you getting another computer fan or like me get a Water Cooling system. The computer dose this as a saftey procation. (it may cause pyshical damage if it dosent) there is nothing wrong with your computer it just over heats thats all. This happens to me (wiv my old computer) wen i run games it just crashes believe u me tht is irratain so try wot ive ujs sed of take of the side panal and put a fan ther to cool it down if ucarnt be botherd 2 buy a computer fan get a house fan they work just as good!?!? try it u might be impressed with results!?! this isnt caused by any system infection trust me.

Dark Civilian
  • kartook
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kartook
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

like they said make sure all your leads and cables are plugged in ang maybe as a last re-sort get a new procceser
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

or perhaps reinstall the CPU, sometimes the thermal paste after awhile turns to crap, and then the HSF isn't touching the CPU properly.. and it's hard to tell cause the Temp Probe is generally underneath, so it can't tell the 'exact' temp.
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had similar problems too, in my case, my mobo died not long after this happened. So maybe, if everything else fails, try using another mobo and see if this happens too?

but it def. sounds like something is not properly attached or small things like that.

Small things which are def. annoying.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts