PC freezing until I hit the case and it frees up again

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
my PC has developed a problem I can''t fathom out so don't know how to fix.

Sometimes everything on screen freezes completely. Still all visible but mouse cursor won't move, clock stops etc. To get it to free up again I have to hit the PC gently. It may take numerous hits, freeing it up for only a second or so before it freezes again, but it does eventually free it up if it doesn't do it first time.
Sometimes when starting up from being switched off, it won't start up or only gets so far and stops. Again, hitting the PC case makes it continue and again, it may take numerous attempts but it does eventually start. I do know that hitting it isn't a good idea but it's all that works. It does this both when I'm using it and when it's on but idle. Sometimes it does it over and over again, sometimes it works for hours, perhaps even an entire day before doing it again.

It seems like some dodgy connection but which?? I wondered if my HD was playing up but there is no noticeable change in sound when it happens and the fact that it freezes the time setting too seems odd. It's not just the time displayed on the clock that stops... when it frees up and starts working, it continues from that time until I update it, so it is actually stopping the clock. The clock I would put down to the battery, even though nothing is more than 18 months old in my PC, but I can't reconcile it being the battery with everything freezing.

I checked the connections to the HD and they seem fine. I have no idea what to check now or what to replace, as I can't fathom what is at fault here.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm kinda desperate now.

Ceri
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Redigieren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Redigieren

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ok ok i got it.

1 anger managment.
2 dont hit your computer
3 your computer is f'd
4 lol
5 dont hit your new computer
  • faith4
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • faith4
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya... LMAO man...too funny...
if ur pc doenst work, dont hit it,
it'll do worst if u do...
"common sense".....
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Suspect it is your harddrive cause if it freezes then start working after you hit it that might mean the harddrive spins down then it freezes then when you hit it the harddrive spins back up. The HDD might be the suspect. try a different drive that you kno works
if it is a western digital try the DLG Diagnostic utility from them
here is the link
http://support.wdc.com/download/
Post if you need futher help
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

A computer that is hit and works is of more use than one not hit and not working at all!

Unless I'd hit it to get it to start, I wouldn't have been able to post my question here, so hitting it is the only option until I find out how to fix it.

Suggestions of what is possibly causing it are a tad more helpful than being told not to hit it, I don't hit it for fun. :shock: So, ignoring the fact that it's not good to hit a PC, what can be making me have to hit it?? The sooner I find the solution, the sooner I can stop hitting it!

C
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
thank you Wisdom. I wondered about the HD but when I realised the clock was stopping at the same time I began to think it less likely to be that.

A friend in Belgium told me tonight that he has just posted me a HD as a gift (very sweet, as he knows I'm too brtoke to buy one myself just now), so, when that arrives, I'll put it in and see if it solves it. He got it just because he thought I could use more HD space and filled it with stuff for me, before my problems started, so just a lucky coincidence. I'll have to get a load of CDs and copy the stuff he put on it onto them then format it to use in place of my current one. Let's hope my current one survives long enough for me to burn a zillion CDs.

It would be great if it is something as simple as just the HD, even though it's not very old, so shouldn't be packing in. At least I can fix that myself. Well, I suppose I can fix anything myself, if I just know what to fix. It's the diagnosis that's the puzzle.

Thanks.

Ceri
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
my HD is Maxtor but I downloaded and ran the DLG diagnostic test anyway. According to it, all is well with my HD.

Ceri
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

since things work when you hit it, it could be something lose

most likely near a moving part (fan)
pop open your case and give all the wires a little push to make sure they are in there good
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
Thanks for reply.

I tried that but will try again. I think I'll take my HD out completely tomorrow and put it back in, just so I know everything is secure there and I haven't overlooked anything. Just disconnecting all the wiring and reconnecting it didn't help, though.

Ceri
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Redigieren wrote:
lol ok ok i got it.

1 anger managment.
2 dont hit your computer
3 your computer is f'd
4 lol
5 dont hit your new computer

6 ...
7 Profit!
  • Redigieren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Redigieren

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:

6 ...
7 Profit!

Good one.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you ever taken the the side off
without someone looking ,or asking
what the hell you were doing ? If not
today is the the day ,just start taking it apart
like you owned it ! yea you owned it .

Tell me when it's all all apart ( the good stuff ) .
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the HDD was the problem you should be getting a bluescreen when the system attempts a paging opperation.

Make sure the inside of the case & power supply are 100% dust free & that all of your fans spin smoothly. If fans get too much dust in them they will catch a dust bunny & stop, hitting the comp knocks it loose & allows it to spin untill it hits another bunny.

This may not be your problem, I've seen it happen a few times though.

On that note, Everyone stop what you're doing & clean your system of dust :)
  • Kevins_Kevlar
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Bc, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hear ya all done I just gave my bunny a big whomp it seems to have worked however now I keep getting this rattling noise I think it happened when I visited the Yahoo directory.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I took the HD out, disconnected the wires completely, and, coincidentally, cleaned the fans and everything else in there before putting it all back together but it has made no difference whatsoever.
All fans are working fine and now clean so doesn't seem to be anything to do with dirt on anything.

Still at a loss.

Ceri
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
If the HDD was the problem you should be getting a bluescreen when the system attempts a paging opperation.

Make sure the inside of the case & power supply are 100% dust free & that all of your fans spin smoothly. If fans get too much dust in them they will catch a dust bunny & stop, hitting the comp knocks it loose & allows it to spin untill it hits another bunny.

This may not be your problem, I've seen it happen a few times though.

On that note, Everyone stop what you're doing & clean your system of dust :)

he he, living in a house wih MAJOR renotvations going on, I have a few things to say about dust

1- if your computer lives in a dusty area you should clean your comp atleast once a day
2 - if your computer lives in a non dusty area, clean your comp ATLEAST once a week

3 - if your computer lives in a dusty area you can try my homade dust-resistance system

A) get a vacumm bag (finer the better)
B) cut it up
C) tape it to any and all holes on your case that do not contain a fan
D) when computer is not in use cover up the fan holes
E) While this method has proven effective (in my case) limit the amount of dust, you should remeber
i. dust still gets in, CLEAN IT OUT
ii. this process may decease airflow in your case, an thus increase case tempurature, you may need to purchase more case fans
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok. It's not the HD. I took it out and put in another, still had to be hit to start up and still seizing at times when in use.

I did open up my PSU and it looks pretty dodgy, one component in there has the coating coming off it, as though it's got hot at some point so new PSU ordered and as replacement.

Anyone think it could be the PSU?

If turns out not to be that, any ideas???

C
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah it could be your powersupply how old is it? If it looks bad inside scrap it and get a new one. STOP HITTING YOUR COMPUTER... you are gunna bust something else.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am shure you looked at were the 3 prong power cord seats snugly into
the back of the PSU.
And like what has been stated ,PSU could give up the ghost any sec.

But try this for the heck of it ! ( hopefully you don't have the tower sitting on the floor) Take the side cover off (right hand side looking
at your tower) take that side off ,and see if you can see the backs
of any nutplates or anything like that ,thats not being used by the screws to hold the MOBO in place,I've seen this happen ,when a new
MOBO is configured other than the one thats being replaced.

But then again without reading it ,you said you bought it new 18 months
ago ,and have not changed anything correct.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
the one old thing inside the case, is the psu. It and the case were oldish when all the new components were put inside. I should have the replacement PSU by tomorrow or Tuesday, so we'll see if that makes any difference. Whether the cause of the seizing or not, it certaily needs replaced as the current one looks exceedingly dodgy.

If it doesn't deal with the problem, I have no idea what to do next.

MOC, why do you say, 'hopefully the tower is not on the floor'? It is, only way I can fit it in, won't fit on desk.

Ceri
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol And will people please stop telling him to quit hitting the case! So far (as he has noted) it's the only way he's been able to get the computer running enough to get back here and post -- yeah, yeah -- I know, it's likely to break more things, but I suspect he's not hitting it with a sledgehammer.

Let's wait until the new PSU gets installed and see what happens.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha... thank you, ATNO, you're right, I (btw, I'm a she, not a he ;-) ) don't hit it hard and wouldn't if I could avoid it.

I do tend to yell out, 'I KNOW!!!' each time I read , 'you shouldn't hit your PC, it's not good for it'.

When it is all repaired and working properly again, I promise to do nothing worse than stroke it reassuringly.

Ceri
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

cerio wrote:
(btw, I'm a she, not a he ;-) )
Ceri

Sorry about that. I really do try to avoid that error, but I was just getting as irritated as you were about people telling you to stop hitting your computer when you clearly said it was the only way you could make it work. Sometimes we need to realize that not everyone has more than one computer we have access to.

Let us know how the power supply thing goes. Personally I still suspect that will not fix it. I think if it was a prob with your power supply your computer would just go dead -- period. I agree with Joebert on the earlier Hardrive thing. I would be more inclined to think a RAM problem, but we'll wait and see how the new power supply does.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds like a loose screw holding the motherboard in place. Or the CPU is not pushed far enough against the motherboard.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if thats the only place you can put it ,then you have to do what
you have to do .
no ,, the only reason is ! It's been proven that when it sits on the floor
they get dustier & dirty twice as fast ,and quess what is the first device
to go almost 99% of the time ( unless you clean it ) is in that type of environment ? the PSU. MIT did the study ,and they say at least if it's
on the floor,you should take it off the floor ,remove BOTH side covers ,
and blow out the PSU, and other devices inside the tower at least minimum 8 X times a year,and this was based on a home environment .

And minimum PSU should be 450 watts,is way better to have more than less when it comes to PSU .And when 2005 starts I would not go near
anything less than 500W ,If i was putting something together,for myself
or friend .

I work in a Helicopter plant,for 10 years now ,our PC's that we use on the floor (assembly area) we take those PC's apart somtimes 2X a month
and clean them .lol (you can eat off them ) Our problem is Composite material (what osha likes to call ) a nuisance dust .lol And this is in a building thats all open ,and is larger than the largest stadium in the US,
so it's not like these PC's are in a little enclosed area. Dust is a big killer.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I got my new PSU last Tuesday and put it in the PC. Since then it's worked fine.
Now, I don't know if the problem lay with the PSU, so the replacement solved it, if I just happened to tighten something up in the process of putting the new one in, and that solved it or if it's yet to seize again but, so far, all seems well.

When unemployed I didn't really need my PC but, of course, it worked fine. Having just started a Postgraduate course, learning SQL, Java and XHTML in this first semester, I REALLY need my PC, so, of course, it chose now to break down. Sod's law, no doubt. I'm still trying to catch up, so fingers crossed that it keeps working.

I no longer hit my PC, many of you will be relieved to hear. I do stroke it gently now and then, praising it for its good behaviour and I fight the urge to use the case as a foot rest.

Thanks all.

Ceri
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

whats wrong with using it as a foot rest?
*leans over and smacks computer*
  • Skid-01
  • Born
  • Born
  • Skid-01

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi cerio, Have you solved your problem yet? Because I'm having the exact same problem and I'm not sure if it is the HDD or the motherboard.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts