FSB and RAM question

• gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

my pc has 400 Mhz fsb and my ram is a pc2100 (which i believe has a speed of 266 mhz).

my question is does the speed of the fsb tells you the maximum speed of ram that is compatible or are the fsb and ram's speed does not have a link to one another?

example, would it be useless to buy a pc3200(which is i think has a speed of 400 mhz) instead of a pc2100?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

no your FSB is not the maximum speed of your ram and a mb that is 400mhz fsb might not even be compatible with pc3200 ram but as far as my limited understanding of the subject goes you do not want your comps bandwith to get bottle necked and it will happenw tih just one stick runing you at 266mhz i belive the bandwith is slashed in half 133up and 133 down when you have 400mhz bus u have 200up and 200down might want to try two stick not too sure in the 400 mhz fsb though i do know it works like this the new 800mhz fsb
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always lookup the specs for the mobo, EX: what chipset does it have?, before doing anything to it. I'm guessing this is an HP,Dell, or the like that your wanting to upgrade. Have a model number handy?
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I always lookup the specs for the mobo

Huh? RTFM???
I don't believe it.....Surely that's not the way it is done....:P :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Open mouth, insert foot.
  • gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert, why does someone need to know the specs of their mobo on just determining what's the best type of ram to upgrade into?

anyway, the max ram my mobo can handle is 1gb and it came with 1 stick of pc2100
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

gba_m wrote:
why does someone need to know the specs of their mobo on just determining what's the best type of ram to upgrade into?

anyway, the max ram my mobo can handle is 1gb and it came with 1 stick of pc2100

It is necessary, because the Motherboard was engineered to be used with a particular type of RAM. Just because it came with PC2100, doesn't mean that it can't use the faster RAM. Mind you, it doesn't mean that it can use the faster RAM either!

The specifications, will also tell you if RAM has to be used in pairs or not.

Get it right from the start, to avoid later disappointment.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

gba_m wrote:
joebert, why does someone need to know the specs of their mobo on just determining what's the best type of ram to upgrade into?

OHH OHH OHH I CAN FEILD THIS ONE

if you just go out and buy any type of ram
then insert it into your MoBo
It can destroy your mMoBo - TRUST ME, first hand learner here
  • gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

traubadour, what do you mean by - the specs will "tell you if RAM has to be used in pairs or not"?
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

gba_m wrote:
traubadour, what do you mean by - the specs will "tell you if RAM has to be used in pairs or not"?

In the good 'ol days, RAM came in "matched"pairs.
That is you had to install RAM in lots of two, where the speed and size of the ram modules you were installing were the same)

So if you wanted 2 Mb total ram you had to have 2 x 1Mb chips (at the same speed).
You want 64 Mb RAM - 2 x 32 Mb chips (4 x 16, even)

Recently, the very first P4's came with RDRAM, which works like this. Ie you have memory modules in your motherboard in "matched" pairs.

Now-a-days, motherboard come with dual channel capabilities.
while you can add memory in singly, if you have matched pairs, you effectively double the speed of your RAM.

Depending on the age/manufacturer etc, (of your motherboard) you may or may not require matched pairs. But your motherboard manual (downloadable from the manufacturer's web site if you don't have the paper one handy) will be able to tell you all that you need to know.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remove foot,
Brush Teeth,

Smile.... :D
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Troubadour's been doing this for a while, you used to have to make "banks" of memory just to get it to work right. Sometimes two, or maybe even four sticks to even work. We're all lucky how relatively easy it is now to just pop in sticks and go.
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

aah,
The good ol' days.....

Back in my day.... on my microbee...or my trs-80... or even peeking and poking on my Commodore 64!

I remember my very first hard disk was 10 MB! My goodness, how you could ever fill up 10 MB was a huge challenge!!!....
it was 5.25" full height and cost $1500.

Aah......... the good ol' days.........
  • alexdio
  • alexdio

Post 3+ Months Ago

About dual channel:
Dual channel is good, but not for AMD, performance growths in 3-5%
Much important is system chipset(memory controller logic) and FSB speed
In AMD platform present great chipset NForce2, but its cool comparetively with VIA chipsets, not with a NF2Single channel

In Ideal situation RAM speed is equals system Bus Speed,
So PC2100 will work in 400MHZ FSB with more delayng, for compabiity...
Will be better if You buy more speedy RAM modules, like PC3200 or PC3500 (400-433 FSB) for forcing PC Speed to Normal Value

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts