FSB and RAM temperature problem

• qba82
  • Born
  • Born
  • qba82

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello :)

I have bought and old used laptop, which is running with P3 processor (5*100 Mhz = 500 Mhz) and 256 mb PC66 RAM module (SDRAM).

When I use this laptop, after few minutes ram module is extremly hot and it`s burning my fingers when i touch it :) Would it makes my ram temerapture lower, when i change my ram to PC133?

Thanks for help:)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: princeton, nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

how do you know is the ram chip? if it's.... what makes you want to touch it ? isn't it covered ? does the computer freezes or reboots and that's why you open the case and touch the ram chip ? if the system is working fine i wouldn't worry about.
  • qba82
  • Born
  • Born
  • qba82

Post 3+ Months Ago

When i`m working with my laptop on my legs, i feel it`s very hot. It is not very comfortable, when your laptop is burning your legs:) Only memory deck is so hot, processor and the other parts are a little bit warmer than "cold" computer.

System is going very stable.
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually all laptops get high temperature on their bottom, they were not designed to sit on your lap, you should place it onto a desk or any other surface, i don't think a different chip will make any difference, the 133 mhz will have faster access to the cpu or hard drive, but wouldn't have any effect on temperature.
  • avalanchez71
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • avalanchez71

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you would like to use your laptop on your lap, I'd recommend a notebook cooler -- I have the cheapest one from NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834987001

Personally, I think it's much better for the notebook to not run as hot, as heat will eventually contribute to hard drive failure.

David is correct in that by the book a notebook PC is not meant to be used on your lap, but since most of us use them that way, a cooler is an excellent fix.

Also...it's worth noting to check that your laptop's fan is actually working, try putting the CPU under load and make sure the fan does kick on -- if the fan is dead, it should be replaced.
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

good points avalanchez71....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts