Games crash when running at 8x AGP!?!

• timmeh2000
  • Born
  • Born
  • timmeh2000
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please please help. I have just got hold of an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro GC. I have updated ALL relevant drivers for mobo chipset, Processor and mobo BIOS. Also got the most up to date ATI Catalyst drivers for GC.

What happens is that when I run the card at 8x AGP (set in BIOS and SmartGart) my games tend to crash after between 10 - 30 minutes of play. When I run at 4x AGP my games run fine. No crashes whatsoever.

The crashes will range from total PC freeze to Windows resetting the card due to it not responding. I've also had graphic distortion twice before a crash (looked like what people talk about when a GC is overclocked).

My system is:

Windows XP SP1a
Asrock K7S8XE + mobo
Athlon XP 3200+

Nothing is overclocked on the system and everything should be set as expected.

I bought 2 of these cards second hand on ebay and both of them have the exact same problem in 2 diff PC's.

Please please help - thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Support for AGP 8X specification
RADEON® 9700 supports the new AGP 8X standard, which allows large volumes of texture and vertex data to be transferred faster from system memory to the chip (2.0 GB/sec).

I don’t think anyone can help you on this issue as you have done everything feasible apart from let us know if the 2 PC’s have deferent motherboards? For the record is there any performance increase when running 8x over 4? because I don’t see any with my Geforce.

AGP stuff is way too overated infact the next Geforce the "Geforce 6600" are going to be PCI cards that can run Doom 3 in 42 frames a second at a 1600 x 1200 x 32 setting... sure the reson is for SLI multi-GPU technology but it just goes to prove you dont need a hig speed BUS.
  • timmeh2000
  • Born
  • Born
  • timmeh2000

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have noticed that there is little if no difference at 4x over 8x but just want to get the card working as it should be. Going to try as much as possible but might have to just use it like this in the end.

One thing I was worried about but didn't know if my problems were indicative of it was if my 9700 Pro is in fact a reprogrammed 9500. I've heard this is possible and it will be read by the OS and used as a 9700 Pro. The cards certainly look very similar as my freind has a 9500 and it looks identical to mine. I'll need to have a closer look at the 2.

If this was the case I would be able to get a refund off the seller.

Any further help appreciated.

Regards.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes the 9500, 9600, 9700 cards all looks the same but are not the same. ive only heard rumors that you can remodel an old 9500 to a 9700 but i dont know if thats true (i doubt it). i have a 9600 pro and it looks the same as the 9700. there is a way to Flash a 9600 card to work like a 9700 card but that is a preformance preference and wouldnt be in effect if you moved the card from one system to another. Your seller may have slipped you a 9500 insted of a 9700 but i doubt it because you can easily see in the adapter area of the advanced display if its a 9500 or a 9700.

i have seen some weird things when playing with the AGP. I did a 3dmark test and got a score of 3500+ with 8X AGP but with 4X agp i got 4200+ and i dont know why... i retested 4 times and got the same results.
  • Damagical
  • Born
  • Born
  • Damagical

Post 3+ Months Ago

My 9500 has the same problem with 8x.. exactly.. and ATI isn't respoding to me except sending a form reply telling me the same old unrelated junk that doesn't answer me problem...

Thanks a bunch ATI.. :-(
  • timmeh2000
  • Born
  • Born
  • timmeh2000

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't worry. I am just happily running my 9700 Pro at 4xAGP and it is running Far Cry and Doom 3 quite nicely thankyou.

Picked mine up for £80 anyway so even if it only does me a year or so I'll be happy.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alot of times when you flash the bios of a card (say your card is 128mb)
and the bios that you flashed it with are 256 mb) this happens alot with
the popular 5900 series to a 5950Ultra ,,with the new bios on your card now,,the system is stupid and only shows half of what the real AGP is .You are fine don't over ride it ,let the bios and your M/B find it
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don’t worry the card will not be faster using 8x because it cant make use of that amount of bandwidth. Just like the new PCI Express cards will never make use of it for another 2 years or so.

If however you downgraded to AGP 1x it will slow you down… its just a matter of where the bottleneck is. When we all upgraded from PCI to AGP there was no noticeable deference back then.
  • FelixJaegar
  • Born
  • Born
  • FelixJaegar

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having the exactly same problem with Radeon 9500 Pro, Athlon XP 2200+, and Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

... and again I say any problem is in your mined.

Think of it this way if it helps… it’s a feature not a problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts