GeForce FX 5700 128mb Vs. nVidia GeForce 6600 128mb

• EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

O.k. i'm New to this site And this is my first post :)

I'm almost done buliding my new PC So far i've got everyting except The G/c. I'm buliding it more for Halo PC than anything but i still want the best G/c out of the FX 5700 (128mb) And 6600 (128mb).
I was first going to get the Fx 5700 (on Pricewatch.com) but then i saw the 6600 for like $15 more and lol Its a bigger Number Than 5700 but it did'nt have the FX thing After the "GeForce" thing so i was wondering if it was better than the 5700.

So far...
AMD athlon XP 2400+@266MHz

MotherBoard:
Biostar/Amptron M7NCD Socket A NVIDIA nForce2 400 / MCP chipset 400MHz FSB w/SOUND/LAN/DDR/8XAGP - ATX

512mb of Ram (Gunna Get more Later) :)

And The G/C Depends on what people say on this post.
Etc.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go for the 6600, it's a much better card (a generation ahead of the 5700), and this is coming from someone using a 5700.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

But it does'nt have the FX thing though. :?:
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

My advice would be to vistit http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/ and check out the bench marking scores for the cards your interested in. You'll also be able to find out exactly what the FX means. But trust me, a sixth generation card will be quicker than a fifth generation card (unless were talking super budget 6th and uber extreme 5th).
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could'nt figure out the web site :wha: :throwmonitor: but im just gunna go with what your saying i also said the wrong G.C i meant the
6200 128mb (sry). And the Reson im making a big diel about this because
i want the best card for Halo PC & CS source. (But mostly Halo)

So what do you say

#1: nVida Geforce FX 5700 128mb

#2: nVidia Geforce 6200 128mb

I'm ordering it tomorrow so think hard. :lol:
  • WaxMelts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WaxMelts

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im no genious on the matter, but as far as i know, the fx was the previous generation of Nvidia card to the 6200.

So logic kicks in roundabout now and tells me you should go for the 6200.

But please, dont trust me on that. Wait for some more educated responses lol.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go for the 6200, for a start the FX5700 has been discontinued [ so that tells you how old it is straight off ] and the FX bit is really only related to the range, has nothing to do with the cards ability.
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: McMinnville, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a bit of techie crap for you to make a decision by:

The FX-5700 is a 10 pipe card with 128MB DDR on the board. To get a feel for the number of pipes, think of an assembly line...this one has 10 employees.

The 6600 is a 16 pipe (generally) board with 128MB DDR3...so you now have 6 extra "employees" to draw your graphics, AND you get the extra memory bandwith of the DDR3 memory so your 16 employees are essentially on steroids.

Another comparision would be calling the 5700 board a Volkswagon Jetta. Not a bad choice...but it is also not a speed demon where the 6600 is more along the lines of a Porsche.

Go with the 6600...you will not be dissapointed.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would actually not recommend the 6200 graphics card. The GeForce 6200 is the low end budget version for the 6000 generation and is really not meant for playing games and only has 4 pixel pipes. If I were you I would go either for the 6600 or the 5900 (which is an older generation but has 8 pipes).

If at all possible I would highly recommend staying with the current generation because it will support the latest versions of Directx and OpenGL. The reason this is important is because if your card is from an older generation it will most likely have to resort to using software emulation for some of the newer games which is VERY SLOW.

In the next few months I believe Nvidia is going to release the next generation of cards which will make the 6000 series an older generation and the 5000 series much older. You might want to consider waiting because when the new 7000 series comes out the 6000 series should drop considerably in price.

You can see a comparision between benchmarks of graphics cards here:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphi ... ts-02.html
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphi ... ts-04.html

Also on these two pages you can see all the graphics cards and the DX Generation, Chipblock, Memoryclock, Buswidth, and number of pipes each card offers:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphi ... index.html
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphi ... ts-01.html

Just so you know the current DX Generation at the time of this post is DX 9.0c

That should aid you in your decision for what you want to buy.

EliteHunter wrote:

It is just a naming scheme. The best Nvidia card you can get right now is the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra and notice there is no FX on that. I believe the best card in the 7000 series will be the Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX. The best card in the 5000 series was the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 U. The GeForce 6600 and GeForce 6600 GT are mainstream which means you will most likely get the best bang for your buck. They are good graphic cards at affordable prices which can handle the majority of the games currently out at the highest resolutions and quality settings with descent FPS (frames per second). Again you still might want to wait for the 7000 series to come out if you are planning on going with Nvidia as prices will shift considerably.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
I would actually not recommend the 6200 graphics card. The GeForce 6200 is the low end budget version for the 6000 generation and is really not meant for playing games and only has 4 pixel pipes. If I were you I would go either for the 6600 or the 5900 (which is an older generation but has 8 pipes).

If at all possible I would highly recommend staying with the current generation because it will support the latest versions of Directx and OpenGL. The reason this is important is because if your card is from an older generation it will most likely have to resort to using software emulation for some of the newer games which is VERY SLOW.

In the next few months I believe Nvidia is going to release the next generation of cards which will make the 6000 series an older generation and the 5000 series much older. You might want to consider waiting because when the new 7000 series comes out the 6000 series should drop considerably in price.

You can see a comparision between benchmarks of graphics cards here:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphi ... ts-02.html
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphi ... ts-04.html

Also on these two pages you can see all the graphics cards and the DX Generation, Chipblock, Memoryclock, Buswidth, and number of pipes each card offers:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphi ... index.html
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphi ... ts-01.html

Just so you know the current DX Generation at the time of this post is DX 9.0c

That should aid you in your decision for what you want to buy.

EliteHunter wrote:

It is just a naming scheme. The best Nvidia card you can get right now is the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra and notice there is no FX on that. I believe the best card in the 7000 series will be the Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX. The best card in the 5000 series was the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 U. The GeForce 6600 and GeForce 6600 GT are mainstream which means you will most likely get the best bang for your buck. They are good graphic cards at affordable prices which can handle the majority of the games currently out at the highest resolutions and quality settings with descent FPS (frames per second). Again you still might want to wait for the 7000 series to come out if you are planning on going with Nvidia as prices will shift considerably.

Ok guys but I'm on a buget ok i dont wanna go to far over anything $120.
i've already spent too much for this computer. I Just wanna get the best card for Halo. but what im not understanding is that my friend matt has the nVidia Geforce FX 5600 128mb and it runs fast enough with all the latest games like Half-life 2, CS sorce, Wolfenstine:enemy taritory, etc.
im wanting to get better than that though Because it runs slow if you put hi-quality settings all the way up in halo (like shadows, etc.) it runs slow and im also looking to get a good card for future games.

I think im just gunna try and end this post lol

does the nVidia Geforce 5900 XT 128mb sound ok to you guys for these games: Halo (with hi-quality settings), CS sorce, Wolfinstine, Halflife2, Project64 1.6 (N64 emulator). thats it. 8)
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The 5900 is a good card and it'll suit you fine. As always with computer componets it's a price thing and you need to draw a line somewhere before you start paying a lot more for only a little extra performance. Buy yourself the 5900, which should be plenty good enough, and in six months time people will be throwing away 6 and 7 series cards as the market prepares for eight generation...
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok i just orderd the 5900
Thanks ppls

GPU NVIDIA? GeForce? FX 5900XT

Bus Type AGP
Memory 128MB DDR
Core Clock 430MHz (vs. 390MHz standard)
Memory Clock 735MHz (Effective)
RAMDAC Dual 400MHz
API Support Microsoft? DirectX? 9.0 and lower, OpenGL 1.4 and lower for Microsoft? Windows?
Connectors VGA, DVI, S-Video-Out
322 million vertices/sec setup
23.5GB/second memory bandwidth
AGP 8x/4x/2x compatible
Up to 8 pixels per clock rendering engine
NVIDIA? CineFX? 2.0 Engine
NVIDIA? UltraShadow? Technology

And thats it. :fist: :explodesmilie: :behead: :flame: :starwars: :throwmonitor: :gun3: These smiles are so cool :lol:

:banghead: Braincells left to go...28 27 26 25 24.....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts