Geforce FX Almost Here !! Check this out !!

• Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many of you guys have been following the next generation video cards ?? If you haven't, check this out - http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021118

The card is gonna be TOTALLY BAD ASS. The thing is gonna use DDR 2 ram, so that's definately a step in the right direction :) If you look at the "Cooling" link on the bottom or read through the article to get to it, you'll see some pictures of the card, it's insane. The card is gonna have an air intake and out-take venhilation, that's killer.

In the newest edition of PC Gamer, there's a couple of benchmarks listed there and the Geforce FX looks to kick ass. Competing against the top card now, the Radeon 9700 Pro, in Quake 3, the Radeon does 147 FPS while the Geforce FX does 209 FPS and in Unreal Tournament 2003, Radeon does 119 FPS while the Geforce does 140 fps which I'm sure looks beautiful, ha ha ha.

I've got a bad dilema here now. I got a new system recently and am about to sell my older system which has my old Geforce 3 card in it in order to buy a new video card. Well, I thought about the Radeon 9700 Pro, but the Geforce FX cards are SUPPOSED to be out in about a month, SO I don't know if I should try to hold out for the Geforce FX card or jump on the Radeon 9700 Pro. My mind tells me to hold out, but without having any card in my system now, I don't know if I can go that long without any intense gaming, ha ha ha. I guess that I'll just have to break out Diablo 2, Red Alert 2, and Age Of Empires 2, ha ha ha.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would hold out man, that GeForce FX looks like a beast. 209 FPS, that is just so huge.
  • ED
  • Student
  • Student
  • ED
  • Loc: Halifax

Post 3+ Months Ago

those benches were done and released by nvidia.
also... ati has the 350 and r400 comming soon. the FX might not kick enough ass to compete. I can't wait to see what happens tho. Both companies know what they are doing. I like routing for the underdog. Go ATI... oh... ati is a canadian company... go canada.
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I think that I'm just gonna wait for the Geforce FX, I'm sure that it's gonna be the card to get, I've been reading more and more about it and it's looking better and better. Plus I know from previous Geforce experience, their drivers are updated all the time to make them better, so I think that's where I'll go.

As far as the ATI comments, I'm always happy to see another company pushing the other, so I'd like to see them come out with another kick ass card also, but that's probably another 4-6 months wait. I think that the 1 month wait will be hard enough to do, ha ha ha.

As far as the benchmarks go, you're probably right, they probably are their benchmarks, but I'm sure if they're even close to the results of the benchmarks, it's gonna rock.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah although i have heard great things about the 9700, i would just hang tight till the new one came out... it will be worht the wait im sure...
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"The practical upshot is that if next year’s games -- specifically DooM III and its programmable-shader brethren -- require more raw GPU power than sheer memory bandwidth, the GeForce FX architecture will be a perfect fit. On the other hand, if next year’s games are starved for memory bandwidth, the Radeon 9700 could very well be a better choice for frame rate–hungry gamers. "

found this nice write up ont he fx vs 9700

http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_2003-01-03.html
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Geez, of course I have to read an article like that to make me wanna change my mind, ha ha ha. It's gonna be a long wait here because right now, I'm thinking that the card will be out in Feb, but who knows, it might not be released until March, which would REALLY REALLY suck if I'm cardless here, he he he.

Oh well, something is telling me to wait for the Geforce FX. I'm sure that in the article posted that ATI will come out with a souped up Radeon card, which will perhaps be better, but then again, that's still gonna be a ways away.

I just wish that there was a place to pre-order the card right now, I'd feel much happier, now I look all over the place, but can't find one place to pre-order it.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

the thing to remember about upgrades though is... there is ALWAYS going to be a next gen BIG, BETTER, FASTER, model right around the corner, when i bought my 2.4Ghz P4 a week later they announce the release fo the 2.53 Ghz, and it was only 100 bucks more!... so the question is when the finally release the fx.. there will probably be alot of hype about the next radeon, and it might delay you that much more.... my 2¢
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I agree with you on that Gadget Guru, you can never be on top with technology. Actually, I felt pretty good when I bought my old 1-Ghz Athlon because I got it right when it came out and it actually stayed on top for about 3 months, so I was happy about that, ha ha ha.

Back to the video cards, I'm sitting here and I don't know if I can handle the wait for the Geforce FX, it's hard. My old video card is already sold off, so I'm sitting here with a bundle of cash with no video card. That Radeon 9700 Pro is actually looking pretty good right now. I'm tossing the idea around, looking at it over at NewEgg.com for $339 with free shipping. It's VERY tempting, but I keep thinking that I should hold out, even though I can't play Everquest, Mafia, Battlefield 1942, all of those games are just sitting there. I broke out Risk 2 and Star Wars Gallactic Battlegrounds, but I don't know if they're gonna save me from giving in, ha ha ha.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

is this this same card for $274? it looks like it to me but the price unbelieveablly lower $274 shipping included.. have a look let me know...

http://www.ocsystem.com/atirad8512dd1.html
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Geez, I never saw that place, that's even a much better deal yet. I did find an auction on Ebay that they're selling 5 with one bid going for $275 with $7 shipping, so that'd be $282 for the card shipped OR with that place that you pointed out, I could get it for $274 shipped.

Hmmm.... what to do, what to do, ha ha ha. I just wish that I knew more about the Geforce FX card like when will the actual date be and how much will it be. Will it come out in early Feb or March, will it be $400 or $500 ?? People are predicting $400, but others say with what's on the card, it might be $500.

All that I know is that I don't wanna wait 2 months for a video card and with finding the Radeon 9700 Pro for cheaper, it's making that card look much better, he he he.

I just don't wanna kick myself in the ass though if I jump on that and the Geforce FX cards come out and totally blow it out of the water, they claim a nice jump over it, but while reading some articles out there, some places are skeptical on how much better it'll exactly be.
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

I asked the same question over at GFY, check out what they have to say there, there's a couple of good points -
http://www.*peach*.com/showthrea ... adid=98550
  • ED
  • Student
  • Student
  • ED

Post 3+ Months Ago

Trust me. The GFFX is NOT going to be that great.
1. its already 6 months behind schedule.
2. the core creates so much heat they had to create this stupid large heatsink contraption to cool it down.
3. It takes up 2 pci slots
4. Its going to be WAY expensive
5. ATI is going to release their r350 soon after the GFX, totally eclipsing the GFFX

nVidia spent too much time and money on the xBox GPU. they fell behind 1 entire product cycle. ATI required ARTX who built the gamecube GPU and they've pulled ahead. nVidia is in serious trouble right now. they're biggest competitor is ahead of the game and has been for 6 months PLUS ati is just waiting for the GFFX so they can release their next product. it's kinda funny actually.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm an nVIDIA man, screw ATI.
  • ED
  • Student
  • Student
  • ED

Post 3+ Months Ago

some bad news about the GFFX

http://www.warp2search.net/article.php?sid=9645&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Quote:
Today I phoned with one of the biggest german suppliers of hardware about the availability of GeForce FX boards and they told me they can not give me any date, but that no shipments are scheduled for February. He told me that the card will not be available by this timeframe.
Also the supplier has no information or marketing papers about any manufacturers cards including Asus and Sparkle.

Behind the scenes it whispers that card manufacturers will officially announce boards with immediate availability at Cebit 2003 in Hannover, Germany. Worlds largest IT fair takes place March 12th through 19th.

We will see.

that means March 12th at the earliest instead of this Feb.
this thing just gets more and more delays
  • ED
  • Student
  • Student
  • ED

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm... according to tomshardware's review of CES 2003. its still set for Feb
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Geez, I don't think that I'll be able to wait that long to get a card if it is March. The odd thing that gets me is that if it was coming out in a couple of weeks, you'd think that there'd be places taking pre-orders, but there's not any sites out there that I've seen that offer it, believe me, I looked, ha ha ha.

Maybe I'll just jump on a Radeon 9700 Pro now and save the extra money. If I can get it for $280, I'll put the extra $120 into a "next generation card" fund, for the next generation after the Geforce FX, ha ha ha.
  • ED
  • Student
  • Student
  • ED

Post 3+ Months Ago

my card is comming in july or august the r400... i can't wait. its gonna be a killer of a card.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts