Ghosting from IDE to SATA?

• NRJ
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard there are some issues ghosting from IDE and SATA. Let say I want to do that. Is there a way to provent those issues or fix them?

What I want is ghost my 3 partitions to a 320GB SATA drive and then raid0 them to another 320GB SATA drive, same brand.

I know my IDE (250GB) is failing and don't have the resource to buy another HDD right now, so I am stuck with SATA right now.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

From my understanding you cannot add a drive and make a RAID-0 to a drive that has data on it without losing data. You can do this with RAID-1 but not RAID-0.

Quote:
"Striped set without parity" or "Striping". Provides improved performance and additional storage but no fault tolerance. Any disk failure destroys the array, which becomes more likely with more disks in the array. A single disk failure destroys the entire array because when data is written to a RAID 0 drive, the data is broken into fragments. The number of fragments is dictated by the number of disks in the array. The fragments are written to their respective disks simultaneously on the same sector. This allows smaller sections of the entire chunk of data to be read off the drive in parallel, giving this type of arrangement huge bandwidth. RAID 0 does not implement error checking so any error is unrecoverable. More disks in the array means higher bandwidth, but greater risk of data loss.

The RAID-0 array needs to be in place prior to writing data due to the way it writes data.
  • NRJ
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

So maybe I should do a fresh install instead. How do u set up as raid before you installed multiple OS?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

On my systems that have RAID, you usually have to press a key combo like ctrl+R (Dell Servers) to access the RAID controller config. Inside there you can setup your RAID. Once done you reboot and start installing the OS. XP requires you to press F6 in the beginning to install RAID drivers from a floppy disk (no way around that). Vista I believe you can install from other media if necessary but Vista seems to be better at dealing with RAID.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts