1.7 Ghz for Video Editing?

• midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking for a light laptop that my dad can use for minimal video editing. I found one, it's an HP. It's got:

1.7 Ghz Pentium M Processor (735)
512 mb ram (it never told me how many dimms)
Intel Extreme Graphics

Questions:
Is 1.7 Ghz good enough for minimal video editing and can it play games like Doom 3?
Will the Intel Extreme Graphics Video Card be suitable for video gaming for someone who doesn't need superb graphics? How does Intel Extreme Graphics work? Whats "shared" video memory as opposed to "dedicated" memory?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not know much about video editing, but as far as gaming, this laptop is not going to be able to play many newer games because of the video card. the rest of the specs may meet the minimum requirements, but you need an actual 3D graphics card.

The Intel Extreme uses shared memory as well. To answer your question regarding the video memory, shared memory is just what it sounds like. If the system has 512MB memory, some of that is allocated to the video card for use, taking away from the system memory. Ex. If you allocate 64MB for video memory, you would then be left with 448MB for use by the system.

Personally, I recommend http://www.sagernotebooks.com

They have a lot of notebooks with higher end graphics cards for reasonable prices. Sager was also the contractor who made the original Area 51 Mobile laptops for Alienware.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i wouldn't even try video editing with a 1.7ghz machine.... unless you have a lots of spare time ;)

i use a 3ghz p4 and rendering video's after editing is very time consuming, and takes alot out of a computer. I have my p4 with 1gb Ram too.

but, this also depends on the amount of editing... i mean, if you are talking 5 min clips then i wouldn't worry.

but when u edit one huge video (say feature length) the editing is fine, but it is the re-rendering after that is the killer.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

no chance for gaming lol 1.7 is very very very slow and intel extremem graphics are horrible it comes with the pc anything that is stock is usually crap
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dont have a go at Pentium M's, they are far better than Athlon 64's and P4's at gamming if you get the best M. Other than that you'll need a grapfics card, there is now a Geforce 6800 in a mobile version, im not sure if its widely available yet though.

*plum*
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay. The video card sucks accorduing to you guys. The 1.7 ghz pentium M, is it good for editing home movies (i.e. vacations, trips)?
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Pentium M should "cut the mustard" in the video for files up to 10mins long ish, i wouldnt want to do any longer files. And yes as for grapfics you'll need a grapfics card :P

*plum*
  • mathfiend
  • Born
  • Born
  • mathfiend

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently purchased a Compaq R3000 hoping to do video editing and photo editing on the road. I chose not to go with a larger Pentium 4 machine because of battery life and heat issues.

Two weeks after delivery, the R4000 was released by HP and I chose to return it for an "upgrade" to the R4000 out while I still had the option of an exchange. The R4000 arrived in less than perfect operating condition. HP service screwed it up even further by installing the wrong OS, so I returned it and with some "financial aid" from the reps at HP, I upgraded once more to the zv6000. I am awaiting its delivery and am wondering if I was foolish to buy this unit. (There have been many posts at the zv6000 forum regarding HP's choice of motherboard. It seems that the mobo being used effectively disables the processor's dual channel memory capabilities. However, I gather that the reduction in performance is about 10% less than expected which isn't all that bad, from what I can see. I am hoping the notebook will not perform any worse than this.))

Doing a google search for video editing and Pentium M I have read in this particular forum thread that Pentium M would NOT be a good choice if I hope to render video files of any length.

I would like to hear from anyone who might have anything to say about the suitability of the zv6000 for this task. (I know a PC would be superior for such a task, but my hope is to be able to do these tasks on the road when I have "down time". Somehow I never seem to be able to make the time while at home.

My HP laptop is configured with an Athlon 3800+ processor, 2GB RAM and a 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM), Dual Layer 8x burner.

Responses would be greatly appreciated since I was considering the purchase of a DV4000 to try out side by side with this machine, but I'm assuming from your posts here that this would be a waste of my time. Agreed?

Also, if the zv6000 is not a good choice, is there any other product in the HP line that would be a reasonable choice? Sadly, I can't afford the competition. :(

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any helpful and knowledgable posts.

:?:
mathfiend
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

midgetsy wrote:

Questions:
Is 1.7 Ghz good enough for minimal video editing and can it play games like Doom 3?
Will the Intel Extreme Graphics Video Card be suitable for video gaming for someone who doesn't need superb graphics?

:LOL: as far as graphics you cant do sh IT for Gaming on a intelâ„¢ "Extream" Graphics. lol If your wanting to play Doom3 on a Intergraded card like that its gunna look soooo bad and be soooo slow if you try to walk all the way across a room in doom3 it'l take 3 hours. lol
don't go for that labtop.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

1.7 P M is going to be slow even on VERY low end video editing,even just clip cutting and placement(forget effects)......

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts